Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The rest of the day was a bore; I sent an email to Alcast about my interest in a possible job opening. After some research about the company, I found that they're based just on the outskirts of town. My mind lingered to how long of a bus ride it would be almost everyday, knowing i'd need to give my car back to Deacon. My dad would never let me keep such a gift as long as I'm under his roof.

There was a soft knock at my bedroom door. "Come in." I said while closing my laptop. My mom let herself in and closed the door behind her.

"Rachel and Sam are coming over for dinner. I think it's time we all have a talk." she sat herself on my bed and looked uneasy as she glanced around my room. I was relieved that we could all finally talk about everyone's weird behavior. As much as I didn't want to admit to Sam that I had feelings for his friend. It was going to be an awkward long night.

I slipped on some comfortable leggings and a shirt before heading downstairs for dinner. As I hurried down the stairs I could smell one of my favorite dinners. Corn beef, Mac and cheese, and steamed cabbage the smell made my mouth water. I smiled to myself knowing Rachel was going to be disappointed, this was her least favorite dinner.

"Is this talk going to be that bad?" I asked my dad as I walked into the kitchen. He was grabbing plates to set the table while my mom pulled the cabbage from the stove. They simultaneously looked up at me with worry. "Why would you say that?" my dad responded.

"Well, mom stopped making this dinner a while back because Rachel hated it." I said while counting out forks from the drawer. "Yes but it's your favorite. And Dad loves corn beef." my mom smiled. They were being weird.

Once Rachel and Sam showed up we sat down for dinner. It was one of our more awkward family dinners. The sound of forks clinking plates filled the silent room. I cleared my throat. "Were we going to have this talk during dinner or after?" I spoke up.

Sam took a long sigh before putting his fork down. His brown orbs met mine for a while before he spoke. "The best day of my life was the day I met your sister. I saw her and it was as if the world stopped." he placed his hand in Rachels; there was a moment of silence as they smiled at each other. My sister continued for Sam. "Just the sight of him made me weak, my heart would pound out of my chest every time he was around." she was smiling to herself, as if reminiscing on all the precious moments.

The way my sister described her feelings towards Sam made me think of Deacon, and how he made me feel. "Rachel and I were made for one another. She is my mate for life. That's how my kind survives." Sam finished. I furrowed my brows at him. His kind? I knew Sam was weird, but the words he used were alarming. Rachel chuckled at my expression.

"Just like you and Deacon." My mom cut in. My eyes shot around the table, waiting for someone to explain to me what was going on. "Tell her." my dad spoke up towards Sam. Sam nodded and directed his gaze on me.

"Ellis. I'm a lycanthrope." he stated almost proudly. "What is a lycanthrope?" I asked. Sam was beginning to scare me, he and my family were giving me very serious stares.

"I and my ancestors were born with the ability to shift into wolves." before he could continue, I rolled my eyes at my family. "This isn't funny, I've had a hard time these past couple weeks. I thought maybe tonight we could all be honest with each other. And now it feels like you all are making a mockery of my feelings." I stood up, ready to storm out of the dining room.

A loud terrifying growl errupted from the table. Sam stood, knocking his chair down in the process. "As of now you are the one making a mockery of me and my family! You will sit and listen." his voice had changed completely, it was deep and raspy. I was trembling under his gaze. His now yellow eyes were boring into my soul.