Chapted 37

Chapter 37

Deacon's POV

"I for one am having a drink once I'm back in a warm house." Jake hollered getting into the car. It felt weird getting into the car, I haven't been in form for that long in a while. Being human again felt slow and stiff.

"Good bourbon and a cigar will do for me." Marion replied in a thick Italian accent from the passenger seat. I smiled, a toxic vice was that last thing on my mind. Elle was. I longed to be close to her, to hold her, sleep next to her, make love to her. I even missed her incessant nagging about how cold the house was, and her need for three pillows to get a good nights sleep.

"I bet your Luna is as big as a ballon." Marion threw me a smile. I chuckled and shook my head at him. His choice in words always earned a laugh out of me. It didn't cross my mind that Elle would look different when I came home. A part of it saddened me to miss out on watching her stomach start to grow.

"You think we can trust Alpha Pierce?" Jake questioned as I started to drive.

"He signed a contract, if he fell back on his word he would have the moon goddess to deal with." I quickly responded. A part of me questioned his flip as well. I was weary of him but, to have peace I have to trust.

"Things will be very different now, no more lycan against Lycan. It will be lycan against humans!" Marions accent made it difficult to understand him.

"Humans are not our enemy." I corrected him.

"How are they not? Our people suffer trying fit into human societies. We can't join the olympics for fuck sakes." He raised his voice. I gripped the steering wheel. The last thing I wanted was a war with the humans. My mate was a human.

"The olympics Marion?" Jake laughed from the backseat. I had to listen to them bicker back and forth for an hour before they quieted down. In meetings these men were extremely professional, but I think this war had taken a toll on our self control. Being an animal for so long can strip your human decency. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ellis' POV

I placed my hand on my belly while I read about nursing and latching in an old book my mother gave me. I had just finished the swaddling and sleep environment section when I heard a buzzing from beside me. I put down my book and glanced to my phone, seeing Deacon's name light up my screen.

I gasped and threw the book down reaching to the side table, accidentally pushing it onto the floor. I slid to the floor and fumbled with the phone before finally pressing answer.

"Deacon?"

"God it feels great to hear your voice." His raspy reply told me he was fatigued, but he was alive. I laid back to the floor and smiled.

"Feels even better to hear yours." I closed my eyes and held the phone tighter to my ear.

"I won't be home till 2am, after a good shower I'm crawling into bed with you and staying there for days." His low tone had my core heating up.

"I can't wait, I've been bothering Arlo twice a day for updates. He's been a little distant lately though." I propped my feet up on the bed and wiggled my pink toes, admiring Rachel paint job.

"He probably has some resentment about staying behind. The construction company is tedious about upkeep." He sighed.

"I can't wait to see you." I changed the subject.

"I'm excited to see you too little one. Very intrigued to see how much our baby has grown." I could hear his warm smile.

"Well I'm definitely showing. I'm not huge yet though, at least I don't think I'm huge. I can still tie my shoes." I told him while attempting to touch my foot to my hand. He laughed.