chapter 1: new school new faces

tweek / 1st person / unfinished / re-write

minutes stretch into hours as the beaten-up black toyota glides over the smooth roads. cold air slithers through the crack in the window, contrasting starkly against the warmth of my coffee cup. the thick aroma of caffeine and B.O penetrates the air. the anxiety of starting fresh has been bubbling up, but something about my parent's special sugar made my jitters slow. while a fresh start is good in some cases, i miss my old friends. i was popular at my last school. it started with being laughed at, then blossomed into being laughed with. the thought of sinking back into loneliness and isolation overwhelms me.

the car, inevitably, came to a final halt. it's colder when i step out. my body needs time to adjust to the colorado cold. it hardly reaches 40 degrees in texas. it's never been below freezing. my father grew up in new york but my mother and i suffer in the snowy weather.

"tweek, darling, are you still up?" her voice; something about the motherly touch of care soothes my nerves more than coffee ever could. "could you get a box out for me? i'm afraid your fragile, old mother is too weak to carry all these in" she smiles weakly, thin lips sucked into a tight smile.

my dad hardly acknowledges me, much less his surroundings. he grasped his sleeping bag, mumbling to himself. he disappears into his room, along with my mother, before i vanish into my room. it took me until eleven at night before i had some sort of structure. a heater, a mattress, pillow, blanket, and my crochet kit. sleeping now would be pointless. it would leave me more tired than well-rested. the next five hours would be spent generously, going towards crocheting and experimenting with different coffee blends. i even managed a three-in-the-morning sprout of inspiration. i had a weeks-worth of outfits planned along with a packed bag. it kept my panic attacks shadowed; lurking, but never in the front of my mind.

sick excitement twisted in my stomach when my phone lit up with '6:30'. already dressed, packed, with a coffee mug in hand, waiting eight minutes for my friend, butters, to show up seemed just as long as the road trip from texas to here. we met at comic-con once in houston. by some devine blessing, he lives in southpark, and we're attending the same school.

the soft knock on the door caused me to jump. i twiddle with the end of my scarf. the edges were a bit messy due to the rushed job i did, but the mossy green complimented my long, brown, denim coat. butters had a louder style, assumed to hide the fact he's introverted and doesn't talk much. the door creaked slowly, but butters shoved it open, smiling lopsidedly.

"hey-a, fella!" if a voice could glitter, that would be butters. he was short compared to myself. maybe 5'5 at best. i am just shy of 5'9. his hand extended towards mine, and i graciously took it. we don't share romantic feelings for one another, but we both crave affection. besides, his boyfriend also enjoys lots of psychical affection from his friends.

1226 words... not bad for a first chapter. Sorry this took me longer then expected I had writers block. Sorry if this kinda sucks. This is writing practice for me. Do you want me to continue the story? Thank you so much for reading. I really apperciate it! Love you guys!

~ MAX :)~