Chapter 27: The pack advantage

"What the hell is that?!" Mason screamed in fear as the hulking form chased us through the tunnels of the church.

"I don't know!" I screamed back. I slowed down a little so that I was between everyone and the thing chasing us. "Just keep running! We're close!"

I glanced back over my shoulder to look at thing again and realized he had disappeared, taking the stench of death with it, but I didn't stop running. Derek's scent was getting stronger. We burst into a low chamber full of roots. There were roots on the walls and hanging from the ceiling, and there was a young teenager tangled in the roots against the wall. Just like my dream. I looked at him, confused. He smells like Derek. Why does he smell like Derek? He feels like Derek too. I stepped closer and shook the boy awake. His eyes opened to reveal mossy brown irises, but they held no recognition.

"Derek?" I whispered. Everyone else was quiet, waiting for an answer. Malia was playing lookout in the doorway, waiting for the thing to come back.

He looked at me in confusion, and hunger? "Who are you?" He demanded.

I stumbled back at the pain in my chest. Like someone had punched me. With a sledge hammer. It's Derek. But not now Derek. And he doesn't know me. He doesn't know me. I couldn't breathe. I felt Liam haul me up off the floor and watched as Scott used his claws to set Derek free. He stumbled and fell as he held his head in pain. I felt it too and brought a hand to my own head in response. Isaac and Scott each took an arm and carried him from the room, shouting. I could tell they were shouting but I couldn't hear them as Liam dragged me with him. We were running again, following our own scents back out of the maze of tunnels. Braeden was leading the pack, gun at the ready. We burst from the front doors and took off towards the vehicles. My limbs were useless, and Liam hoisted me into his arms, fully carrying me now. He shoved me into the back seat of the Jeep with Derek and climbed in beside us.

All I could do was stare, and he was staring back. "Why are you looking at me like that? Who are you?" He demanded again. Suddenly he squeezed his eyes shut in pain, and I felt the stabbing sensation in my own skull. We both grabbed our heads and winced.

"My names Stiles," I hissed through my teeth. "And-," I stopped myself. We had to be careful now. If he didn't know us, then he may have fully gone back to the year he was 16. We needed him to trust us so that we could keep an eye on him... until we knew what was going on. I couldn't just come out and say 'we're sparks, and mates, and can read each others emotions, and feel each other's pain apparently, and god knows what else'.

I looked at Scott helplessly. "Scott..."

"We're here to take you home Derek. To Beacon Hills," he said calmly.

"But who are you people? Why are you here to get me? What happened?" He questioned, panic rising in his voice.

"What do you remember?" Isaac asked slowly.

Derek glanced at him sharply and snapped, "Why should I tell you?!"

"Derek..." I said calmly. "We're just trying to figure out what happened too. Can you tell us what you remember please?" I asked, willing him to trust me.

His face softened a little and he looked at me again. "I feel like I know you. But I've never met you before," he said in confusion. My heart beat painfully in my chest.

This is a lot, a lot to handle, this is too much. This is too much. Derek and I had just discovered something huge, life changing, and then he was stolen from me. And now... and now he doesn't remember any of that. He doesn't remember that we're meant to be mates. I tried to stay calm, but knew I was losing control. A confused 16 year old Derek who didn't know who I was was staring at me, still not understanding. I wanted to scream and shake him, I wanted to bring my Derek back. The one who knows me. My mate. My spark. This isn't him. What if he never came back? What if he was stuck like this forever? I panicked. My breathing was ragged and uneven, and I couldn't hear anymore. Oh god, what if I can't get him back? I would lose everything I had. He was more than just my new boyfriend... he's my mate. He's meant to be my mate, for life. He's Derek. Oh god, I can't breathe. I looked around frantically in my panic induced state, I need air in my lungs. I was crushed from behind, arms holding me tightly and trying to make me focus. I heard my alpha say my name, but it wasn't working. My vision was going black, my consciousness slipping away.