zwei­und­dreißig.

Start from the beginning

     the others watched on, a bit confused at the conversation that was currently happening. reiner didn't seem to care about the others, his attention was solely on the female just behind him. "did you get to rewatch it?" he asked once again, his eyes travelling down to her posture.

     noting this, she calmed herself down and puffed out her cheeks. she was about to answer when pieck cut her off with a snort, "as sweet as this is, we need movies to watch." she chimed in, shooting reiner a look before continuing on.

      the others ignored what had happened, giving out recommendations for movies to watch. y/n would often do so to relieve herself from her buzzing nerves and not to look so nervous under reiner's piercing gaze. she could still hear her heart beating a bit too loud and she was thankful pieck stopped reiner before she could fully break her resolve down.

     she sighed and ran a hand through her hair, hating how stressful and nerve-wracking it is to be suspicious. just seeing reiner look at her with calculating eyes was enough for her to know that he truly was part of the MARLEY.

     looking around the room, she felt someone staring at her and a cold shiver went up her spine. her eyes landed on reiner, who tilted his head as if he wanted something from her. she did the same, giving him a look of confusion even with her shaking hands.

     "did you finish it?" she heard him ask. she pursed her lips and thought first before answering; what could she say to get him off her back? she didn't want to live every day and worry about how reiner will find out about her. could she just... go back in time and not talk about mermaids from the start?

     "nope," she finally answered, "i didn't even watch it. i was busy with college and work, never found the time."

     it wasn't a lie. y/n really had no time to watch the nostalgic mermaid show with all the shit that has been going on. she hoped it was enough for him to back off, because she was afraid that he'd see the truth right through her.

     reiner only nodded and flashed her a grin before turning back to face the television, suggesting a movie to the ravenette who was having a hard time choosing a good movie. y/n's shoulders slumped down and she ignored that encounter for now, focusing on having a nice time with her friends.

     what bothered her the most was, could she still call reiner her friend?

⁠⁠⁠— ♦︎ —

     the next night, y/n went to the beach and to their new spot just as armin emerged from the sea. the two laughed upon seeing each other, excitement swimming in their eyes as they shared a quick, loving, kiss.

     it was clear as the ocean that the two missed each other, even if one of them was only gone for a day. they might sound clingy about it and it's not really a big deal but considering that their only way of meeting is during night time and the blond had no way of communicating with the h/c-haired during the day, they'd surely want to spend all of their time together if it was possible.

     y/n often asked herself if she could grab the serum from MARLEY and turn herself to a mermaid but that was a bad idea.

     after the hugs and the kisses, y/n sat down beside armin and hugged him tight. just as she settled in to his warmth, she closed her eyes when armin asked a question, "so, what did you and the others watch?"

     y/n grinned and looked up, her heart warming up at the sight of excitement and curiosity filling his sapphire eyes. all she could do was retell what happened throughout the movie, as well as the times she died laughing at what her friends would often do or say the whole time. it mostly consisted of porco and reiner arguing, or annie and reiner somehow fighting once again that resulted with getting his other shin kicked.