VII. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Start from the beginning

Graham kissed Regina. She hesitated, then kissed him again and shut the door.

That night, Graham bolted upright in bed. He was sweating and breathing heavily. Regina, who was lying next to him, was awakened.

"What is it?" Regina asked.

"I had the most intense dream," Graham replied. "I was in the woods hunting and I killed a deer. There was a wolf..."

"A wolf?"

"It's eyes -- one was blood red and the other was black as night. The funny thing is, I think I've seen the wolf before."

"Come back to sleep, Graham. It was only a dream."

"It didn't feel like a dream. It felt like a memory." He got up and started getting dressed.

"Graham."

"I need some air. I need to think."

"Graham, please. Come back to bed."

"I left my car anyway. I need to go and get it. Clear my head."

"Graham, listen. It's late, you're tired, you're probably still drunk. Don't leave."

"Since when do you want me to stay, anyway?"

"You're not well."

"I'm fine." Graham left Regina's room.

Graham made his way to the main street and walked up to his squad car, keys in hand, but dropped them. When he knelt to pick them up, he saw the wolf again. The wolf walked into the woods.

MARY MARGARET'S APARTMENT

Emma walked down the stairs and saw a bouquet of flowers on the table.

"Really?" Emma asked, annoyed.

She took the flowers and put them in the trash. Mary Margaret walked into the room and saw what Emma was doing.

"Oh!" Mary Margaret cried. "Hey, wait! What are you doing?"

"If Graham thinks flowers will work on me..."

"No, those... were mine."

"Oh. From David?"

"No. Uh... Dr. Whale."

"Why would Dr. Whale-" Emma was cut off by a look from Mary Margaret. "Are you serious?"

"I know -- it's a disaster."

"No! That's amazing. You're getting over David."

"First of all, there's nothing to get over and second of all, it's just a one night stand."

"Not according to those flowers."

"Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have called him."

"Oh my God. You called him. That is definitely not a one night stand."

"Well, okay -- I'm still learning. I never had one before. I felt guilty."

"Why? There's nothing wrong with what you did. Trust me. One nighters is as far as I ever go."

"Well, yeah. That's because you're-"

"Because I'm what?"

"Never mind."

"Yeah? Tell me -- what do I do?"

"You're just protecting yourself. With that wall you put up."

"Just because I don't get emotional over men-"

"You don't get emotional over men? Uh, the floral abuse tells a different story."

"What story is that?"