Better Together (5) A day of emotions

I awoke to the sound of heavy breathing , I leaned over to see it was almost three in the morning. I turned before seeing Steve sitting up in bed , the moonlight peeking through the window in my bedroom highlighted the sweating on his back. I fully sat up before placing a hand on Steve's shoulder causing him to jerk away saying "I'm fine just go back to sleep". I responded saying "are you okay" he nodded saying "yeah bad dream" I again responded saying "do you wanna talk about" he shook his head before I added "are you sure" he nodded again before getting out of the bed and saying "I'm gonna go for a run , don't wait up". I responded saying "at three in the morning" he nodded before exiting my bedroom , I remember this happening last year. Steve being in a bit of a funk after Halloween and it only lasting till the beginning of November , I wasn't exactly sure why since every time I asked him he got really quiet and then quickly changed the topic. still I couldn't help but wonder what exactly it was that was bothering him but I want to know , no mater what it is it couldn't be something that bad he couldn't talk to me about , it wasn't bad right ?

Hours later I awoke again this time at around eight o clock and on the couch , after Steve left for his run I decided I would stay up a bit so I could maybe talk to him and see what was going on. that of course didn't work since I must've fallen asleep and Steve must've covered me with a blanket when he came back from his run. It was Sunday which usually meant sleeping in. Steve and I would get our snuggles with Jackson , he'd complain and say he's too old for it. eventually getting up and dressed for a late breakfast at Benny's but today none of that would be today we wouldn't be doing that. instead we'd be getting up early and putting on are nicest (most uncomfortable) clothes and attending the baptism of our friends Matt and Colleen's daughter Emma. After my third attempt of getting Jackson up and dressed we were finally ready. I had some mixed emotions about today , I was happy since this is a happy occasion but also sad seeing how it felt like yesterday was Jackson's. which is what also made me sad since that wasn't such a happy occasion no matter how hard I tried to make it one. "ready" Steve said I nodded before walking over to straiten his tie , after I fixed his tie I pecked his lips before Jackson huffed saying "can't yo do that later". Steve chuckled before saying "oh we will" I playfully swatted at his shoulder before he spoke again saying "are you gonna be okay" I nodded saying "what was that earlier this morning". he shrugged before turning to Jackson saying "are you ready buddy" he nodded before looking at me saying "ready" I silently nodded before grabbing my bag and walking out the door.

*****Flashback*****

It was the middle of September , Jackson who was currently occupying my arms was seven months old. we were currently standing outside the church. It was Jackson's baptism today and Steve was supposed to be here half and hour ago but as always was running late which for Steve was a sign meaning he didn't want to do whatever he was late for. I knew he did that since this isn't the first time it's happened , I honestly think he does it so we'd forget about him and start but that wasn't. This time I was putting my foot down and standing my ground , I waited another fifteen minutes before Steve graced me with his presence. He imminently gestured to take Jackson which I hesitated since Steve clearly smelled like cigarettes but I did before he spoke saying "hey uh Tommy and Carol didn't get invitations" I nodded before he added "why is that". I responded saying "cause they aren't invited" he rolled his eyes saying "wow Y/n great thinking , so your gonna have the godparents kicked" I chuckled at what I assumed was a poor joke but Steve didn't look like it was funny , I spoke saying. "Your kidding right" he shook his head as I added "I choose Robin and Jonathan" Steve rolled his eyes before saying "oh no bird girl and the freak are not going to-" I cut him off saying "that's not what I said , I said Robin and Jonathan you must think I'm crazy if I choose them over my best friends" Steve rolled his eyes before I took Jackson back out of his arms and entered the church.