Better Together (3) Surprise

I had just finished helping Jackson with his reading , it was Friday and Buster had been with us for an entire week and I was slowly starting to get used to him. Friday meant it would be another late night for Steve , which also meant tonight was going to be hard for night for him since Jackson would most likely be asleep when he got home. After Jackson had his pajama's on and was settled onto the couch with Buster and some cartoons , I began to wash dishes. I had dried the last dish when I heard knocks at the door on the front door , did Steve come home early and lose his key. I sighed before opening the front door to see Matt holding Emma who had just turned a year old recently in his arms. I spoke saying "hi Matt is everything okay" he nodded saying "yeah it's Friday" I shrugged at his confusion before he added "It's the last Friday in September". I shrugged again before he continued with "you offered to watch Emma for the weekend while Colleen and I go to California". I then somewhat remembered that I said that , Matt's sister moved to California after high school and Matt and Colleen haven't had a minute to themselves since before Emma. I being a good friend offered to watch her for them only to forget , I nodded saying "yeah of course I remember" Matt responded saying "your a horrible liar Y/N" before I could respond Buster perked up and began to bark at Matt and Emma. Matt spoke again saying "when did you get a dog" I Shook my head as he added "I told him not to get a puppy" I rolled my eyes before peeling Emma out of Matt's arms before saying. "Where's Colleen" Matt responded saying "in the car she's already said her goodbyes a dozen times to her" I nodded as he added. "She's usually pretty chill , she goes to bed at seven and she usually sleeps through the night unless there's a thunderstorm but I doubt that'll happen since it's been nice out today. she should be pretty tired her and Colleen spent the whole day doing errands so she might fall asleep early , and she might be a little fussy going down sometimes Colleen reads to her and sometimes that helps". I responded saying "sometimes" he nodded saying "yeah most of the time Emma's sleeping with us". I nodded before saying "hey Matt" he nodded before I added "was I this crazy when I left him with you'll" he nodded silently before handing me her bag and placing a kiss on Emma's cheek before leaving.

After Matt left I placed a blanket on the floor in the living room and scattered a few of the toys that were in Emma's bag onto it before I sat down with her. It felt like it was forever ago that I was sitting on the floor playing with my sweet baby boy , who was now laying on the couch by himself since the moment I sat down and started to play with Emma , Buster imminently became interested in her since she was probably the smallest thing he had ever seen. "Why is she here" Jackson asked for the third time since Emma arrived , I responded saying "Uncle Matt and aunt Colleen have to go out of town and I offered to watch Emma so why don't you come sit with us". He shook his head before I heard the front door and open and close , I stood up before placing Emma on my hip. I walked into the kitchen to see Steve placing flowers in a vase , I spoke saying "how was work" he responded saying "fine I guess , hey listen I-" he stopped when he turned around to see Emma in my arms before he repeated Jackson word's from earlier. "Why is she here" I responded saying "Matt and Colleen are visiting his sister and I offered to watch her for the weekend" Steve sighed saying "really" I nodded saying "yes really" he rolled his eyes saying "fine whatever , I planned a nice dinner for us after we put Jackson to bed but yeah that's fine". He placed the flowers down before walking back down the hall towards are bedroom before shutting the bedroom door , was Steve mad. I shrugged that feeling aside before walking back to the Livingroom with Emma.

I was sitting on the floor playing with Emma before Steve entered the living room which imminently caught Emma's attention , for some unknown reason Emma was very intrigued by Steve. He took a seat next to me causing Emma to abandon her spot by Buster and imminently sit on Steve's lap. I got up from the floor to get a glass of water from the kitchen , when I returned Emma was tugging and pulling onto Steve's hair and that's when I realized exactly why she was fond of Steve.