(15) Same old routine

It was the first Saturday in April when I had finally gotten down the boxes on the top shelf of my closet , there were two boxes that I knew had Jackson's baby clothes. I knew that Coleen would would have a baby shower and I knew she didn't know what she was having but most of Jackson's clothes were very neutral. As I began to sort through the boxes Jackson entered my bedroom , he took the spot on my bed next to the box before saying "what's in there mama" I handed him one of the onesies before he said. "I'm think I'm too big for this" I chucked at his confusion before I said "there for Uncle Matt and Coleen's baby" he then said to me. "What's in that box mama" he then pointed to the box that I had left at the top of my closet that I knew was practically filled to the brim with stuff from Steve. I shrugged saying "I'm not sure , I think that's just some pictures" he nodded saying "can I see them" I shook saying "no I um can't reach up there". Jackson didn't really take that as an answer since he then asked "but how'd you get the other boxes and why does it have daddy's name on it". Before I could answer him there was a knock on my bedroom door I looked to see Steve standing in the doorway wearing a button up collared shirt with an awfully patterned tie peeking out of a argyle sweater vest and a sport coat which was he new work attire since shortly after the Appendix debacle Steve stuck to his word and started working for his dad. Steve entered the room as Jackson snuggled to my leg before Steve leaned over to see inside the box before saying "what are you doing". I answered his question saying "pulling some stuff out for Matt and Coleen" he then asked "are you giving them all of this stuff" I shrugged as he added "your not going to keep any of this for him" I shook my head saying. "He's to big to wear any of this" he then picked up one of onesies saying "he whore this when he came home from the hospital". He then picked another one up saying "and he wore this when my grandmother saw him" I sighed before saying "would you like to keep some of these Steve" his face lit up in joy before saying " well I'll just take a few cause you know one day he might want these and I-" Steve's rambling was cut off by a voice saying "what are you doing" Alison then appeared in the doorway before she added "you said five minutes , it's been seven" Steve then tucked the items in his hand behind my back before saying "Y/n and I were just going over the schedule". He lied , Steve just lied to Alison and she actually believed it and if I was being honest Steve was a terrible liar , she nodded saying "okay well lets go then , I need to be there an hour early" he nodded before turning to face me mouthing out the words Thank you I nodded shrugging it off before exiting my bedroom wondering where Alison needto be even though it was none of business I couldn't help but feel nosy. As Steve , Jackson and I began walking towards the livingroom Jackson spoke up saying "dad I gotta show you something" Steve nodded as Jackson practically dragged him down the hallway. While the two were back there I began to check of the list I had and made sure Jackson's bag was pack as Alison spoke saying. "You know your really smart getting the baby clothes out thinking that the nostalgia will bring him back to you". I responded saying "Alison I honestly have know idea what your talking about , I happen to have a friend who's having a baby". She then added "I'll be out of town this weekend so I better not here a single word about you when I get back" I ignored her words before I heard the faint sound that I immediately recognized as Steve's laughter causing Alison and I to look at each other before walking down the hall to Jackson's bedroom to find Steve and him on the floor next to the box that had caught Jackson's attention earlier , I plucked the stack of photos in Steve's hand causing him to say. "Hey , I was looking at those" I huffed before placing my hand onto my hip saying "those are private and in my closet which is in my bedroom". Steve sighed saying "Jackson told me you couldn't reach the box and I saw my name and-" I cut him off saying "so you just started going through my stuff" he frowned as I added "I just cannot believe you". Steve signed saying "I'm just surprised you kept al this junk" my heart feel at those words since the Items in that box wasn't junk to me , they were happy memories that I put away since I couldn't bear to remember them. Steve stood up from his spot before saying "let's go Jackson we can talk about this in the car" I spoke saying "no you won't he's fine Steve" he responded saying "Y/n if you let him get away this , he'll think he can get away with anything". I rolled my eyes ignoring his words before leaning down to kiss Jackson's forehead saying "don't let him get to you , have fun and let me know if he bothers you"he nodded before Steve spoke saying. "You always gotta bad mouth me don't you" I shook my head as he added "I'll see you on Monday, come on Jackson" as he began exiting Jackson's bedroom Jackson begun to cling to my leg before saying "I'm sorry mommy" I nodded saying "it's okay sweet pea" he then asked "can I stay with you". I really wanted to say yes and hold him in my arms but I knew I couldn't , I knew that Steve and I had this arrangement and that if I changed it I would never hear the end from Steve. I shook my head saying "oh you don't wanna stay sweetie mommy's got laundry to do and run errands you'll have fun with daddy I promise" he nodded before asking "are you sure" I sighed saying "I promise"I pulled him into a hug which was interrupted by Steve yelling "Jackson let's go". He pulled way from me before walking out into the livingroom.