5/3/20

Day 48:

   My summer swim league was cancelled.  I don't know what I'm going to do with myself.  I've done swim during the summer for the past 10 years.  I have so many memories tied up with six hour meets in the scorching heat, snacking on lukewarm watermelon under a broken easy-up.

    I remember, when this all started, we thought it was going to be like a two week thing.  I was sure we'd be going back to school after spring break.  Now we're discussing the possibility that we may not be able to go back in the fall, or that only half of the school will be able to attend at once or something to that effect.

    There's this week before school starts that's known as 'hell week' to the water polo players.  We have two two-hour practices every day for a week.  I've never experienced it, as I was two weeks late to the season this year due to crippling indecision, and now I might not be able to this year, either.

    I miss normal.  Everyone keeps talking about how 'we won't go back to normal ever' or 'it's a new normal' but I just want it to do back to the way it was.  I want this whole experience to disappear from my memory like a bad dream fades as you eat your cereal in the morning.  I want it to vanish, and everything to happen like this stupid virus never did.  I don't want to be afraid of other people as potential carriers for the rest of my life.  I want this time that was stolen from me back.  High school is only four years long, and the unarmed virus has stolen half of one of them, and I will never get it back.