"You look different," Kathryn said. "Your hair -- it's longer. You used to always have a buzz cut. You used to complain that long hair was itchy and hard to take care of."

"I guess it grew while I was in there."

"So, I was going to go to bed. Do you... want to join me?"

"You mean, go to bed go to bed, or 'go to bed'."

"Whatever you want."

"Why don't we just sit and talk some more?"

After a moment, they kissed.

David pulled away. "This isn't right."

GRANNY'S DINER

Mary Margaret was reading the paper. The front page article was about David.

Dr. Whale walked up to her. "I'm a hell of a doctor, huh? No way he wakes up on someone else's watch."

Mary Margaret looked up. "Hello, Dr. Whale."

"So, I heard that you resigned from the hospital. I hope it wasn't because of me."

"Wh-Why would it be because of you."

"Well, our date... I never called you after. Yeah, I know, I know. It's not classy. And I'm sorry. But, if you could find a way to get over it, you know where to find me. Have a good day."

Dr. Whale left the diner and as he was walking out, Regina walked in.

"Miss Blanchard, may I have a word?" Regina asked.

"Of course," Mary Margaret replied.

"I wanted to talk to you about my friend Kathryn. But more specifically, I wanted to talk to you about her husband David. You don't belong together. He's not yours, he's taken, find somebody else."

"I haven't done anything."

"Really? So he just up and left his wife on a whim?"

"He did what?"

"You don't know."

Mary Margaret shook her head and Regina continued. "Well, I suspect you soon will. So listen carefully, dear, 'cause it's in your best interest. Stay away. He's in a fragile state, he doesn't know who he is or what he's doing, and you're this close to wrecking multiple lives. So, before you do something that can't be undone, let him remember who he was."

Regina left Mary Margaret alone in the diner.

Mary Margaret went to her classroom and used a letter opener to open letters.

David stood at the door. "Careful -- looks sharp."

Mary Margaret looked up. "You can't be here."

"I... I needed to see you."

"Tell me you didn't leave your wife because of me? I do not want to destroy your marriage."

"You're not. It's me. I don't want to hurt her, either, but the most hurtful thing to Kathryn would be me pretending. She needs someone to feel about her the way I feel about you."

"I'm trying really hard to stay away from you. To do the right thing."

"Why is that the right thing?"

"Because you already have a life."

The bell rang and kids began filing into the classroom.

"With someone I didn't choose," David explained. "The man who chose that life, whoever married Kathryn, is gone."