Game Night

I was running the gauntlet when a notification popped up on my HUD. It was two actually. One was a reminder that the game night we had planned was 10 minutes away, and the other was a message from Krystal. 'Come out. I want to show you something,' It read. Finishing the run, I checked my time. 15.23 seconds. A new personal best. "Alright. Grace, end the simulation." Immediately the world around me dissolved into Grace's cockpit. Taking a moment to decompress, I activated Grace's optics. I saw the hanger, with various supplies scattered along the walls. Directly in front of Grace was Krystal. My eyes widened. I immediately opened the hatch and jumped out. Landing in front of her I took of my helmet. She was purple now. All of the blue that she normally had was gone, save for the blue glow of her optics. She also had two raccoon tails attached to the back of her head, both draped around her right shoulder, almost like a braid of hair. She looked nervous, her hands behind her back and looking down. "Do you like it?" She asked. I smiled. "Yeah! You look great. Did you do this yourself?" I asked. She shook her head. "Coco and Velvet helped me. They did most of the work actually." I nodded. "Well I'll have to thank them next time I see them. C'mon  we've got a game night to go to."

Krystal got more and more nervous as we got closer to team RWBY'S dorm. "Hey," I said. "Relax. I'm sure that they will love your new look." She seemed to only get more nervous. "But what if they dont!?!" She almost shouted. "What if they think I look wierd? What if they dont like the tails? Maybe I should just sit this out." I turned, put my hands on her shoulders and held her at arms length. This was the first time I noticed that she was slightly shorter than me. "Its going to be ok. When have you ever known them to judge you about how you look?" She went to say something then hesitated. Then she looked down, in what I assume was embarrassment. "Never. I guess I was getting worked up over nothing." I laughed slightly. She then gave me a hug. "Thanks Y/N. I needed that." I returned the hug. "Of course. I'll always be there for you." We separated and continued to our friends dorm.

When we got there I knocked on the door. I noticed Krystal was slightly hiding behind me. I gave her a reassuring smile. The door then opened, revealing Blake. "Hey guys, come in." She said with a small smile. We walked in to see everyone kind of doing there own thing. Weiss was at a desk studying, Ruby and yang were already playing video games. And there was an open book on Blake's bed. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked to us. Ruby was the first to speak, while jumping up and running to Krystal. "Oh my gosh Krystal! You're all purple now." She said with a smile, running around her to get a view from every angle. I started laughing at her behavior. Everyone else started voicing there opinion on her new look, all positive. "Thanks you guys," was all Krystal said. We sat on one of the beds. "So what are you guys playing?" I asked. Ruby paused the game and looked up. "Its called 'Giant's Descent.' Its set in medieval times. You play as a knight who has the power to control a giant to help you fight."

"Sounds pretty cool. Mind if I give it a try?" I asked. She smiled and handed me her scroll to use as a controller. She gave me a crash course of the controls then let me at it. It was a fun game, and after a few rounds I felt like I was getting the hang of it. And after a few more, I was wiping the floor with anyone who challenged me.

"Aaarrrrgh" Yang yelled. I let out a small chuckle. The score of our last match was 35 to 9, with me in the lead. "How are you so good at a game you only found out existed an hour ago?!?" Ruby shouted. All I could do was shrug. "I guess I'm just a fast learner?" Truth is its incredibly simple. Compared to the myriad of buttons and controls I have to use to pilot Grace, a game where the controller has less than 15 buttons or control sticks is child's play.

The night went on, each of us taking turns facing each other. Ruby and Yang were the best besides me, I'd rank them as average. Blake would be considered a novice, and Weiss a beginner. Krystal... well not to be too crude, but Krystal was absolute dog shit. Most of the time her character was running into a fence or staring into the sky. I'll give her credit though, she kept a good attitude. I think she mentally accepted that this wasn't her thing, but had fun anyways. Which was more than a little surprising, given her usual social anxiety. Could be a sign of improvement in that regard, or it could be just one of those things that doesn't bother her for one reason or another. Either way she seemed to enjoy herself.

After a couple of hours people started to wind down. It was late and it seemed we had all had our fill of fun. Me and Krystal said our goodbyes and left for our own dorm. "So you seemed to enjoy yourself" I said, as we walked down one of Beacons many halls. "I did," She replied, the smile evident in her voice. "I'm glad to hear it. I told you there was nothing to worry about" I gave her a playful shove. "I know, I know. You were right."

We reached our dorm and went inside. I headed to the bathroom to change into some pajamas. When I came back out she was laying on her bed, wearing the black hoodie Weiss had bought for her. We said our goodnights and I turned out the lights. A few minutes passed, and then she spoke up. "Hey Y/N?" I opened one eye "Hmm?" She seemed to be hesitant to continue. She was fiddling with the zipper of her hoodie, which told me she was nervous. "I just wanted to say... Thanks. For being my friend... I haven't met a lot of people who are ok with who I am. Most just think I'm another Atlas bot, and when they find out I'm not, it freaks them out. But you, and Teams RWBY, JNPR, and even team CFVY, have made me feel like a person again and-" That's where I cut her off. "Whoa whoa, you were never not a person. Who you are now is not any less of a person than who you were before, and it never will be. People can get hurt. Physically, mentally, and emotionally and probably a billion other ways. But that doesn't make anyone less of a person. It just means they're people who have been hurt. I don't know what happened, and you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. But I don't see Krystal the simulacrum when I look at you. I see Krystal, my friend and partner."

She stayed silent for a bit. When she did speak, her voice was strained with emotion, like she was trying to hold back tears if she could make them. "Thank you... and it's not that I don't want to tell you what happened, it's just a very difficult subject for me. Sometimes I feel like just thinking back to it and remembering it is just as traumatizing as actually going through it was." She went silent again. "There's no pressure. You can tell me when you're ready, if you want to. But whether you do or not, it's not going to change how I see you." She turned to look at me and I gave her a reassuring smile. "Again, thank you" She said, her voice barely above a whisper. "Of course. Now we should get some rest. Tomorrow's already on its way." She nodded and we said our goodnights once again.