Chapter Five - No Harm

Sang felt her heart stop for a moment at the rage evident within his voice. It wasn't the first time that he had come across as scary but now he terrified her.

She pushed Mr Blyre and his overwhelming stench from her thoughts and sent out a tentative touch, "Why is that your business? You can't be mad at me for have a passing thought about another person, be it a man or woman. I don't even know you and you certainly know nothing about me!"

His only reply was a growl before she felt the connection suddenly stretch and shudder . Her hand clapped to the top of her skull where agony ripped through her brain and she let out a soft moan.

"Please stop," She cried, wanting to scream.

"It is not me, little one. You are fighting against my presence and it is hurting you. Stop before you cause more damage," The menacing voice had suddenly turned soft and distant as though he were trying to speak through a wall.

What did he mean she was the one causing this?

"Let me back in," Her hands shook as she heard the almost coo in his tone.

She lowered her head between her knees, ignoring the buzz of people asking her questions. She didn't care about them, couldn't acknowledge them through the pain.

She opened her mind completely to the mysterious and compelling being and felt relief float through her body as the agony suddenly cut out to leave only peace as Owen's voice swept through on a sigh, "Good girl. Don't do that again or I will be unhappy."

"Why?" She whispered back.

"You are not allowed to come to harm. Not even from yourself."

She didn't understand the response, didn't like the possessiveness but she was grateful for the way that he had sought to help.

"Why do you care what I do? You don't know me," She was sure that his reply would again be filled with rage but he just gave an exasperated exclamation.

"To be honest, I am not entirely sure. You have helped to alleviate some of the darkness within me and I am grateful to you for that but my intention has always been to leave this life behind," he paused, "Your invasion of my mind has me intrigued and I find myself wanting to know you before I meet the dawn."

There was something in his voice that made her pause, an undercurrent to his words that made Sang think he wasn't telling the entire truth. She believed that he found his responses bewildering but when he spoke of wanting to know her there was something...more there, something that filled her with worry.

Opening her eyes to the scene of the dining room once more, she realised that she had managed to make a spectacle of herself. The pain had so blinded her that she had blocked out what the people around her were doing.

No longer in the dining chair, she found herself lying comfortably on a chaise lounge underneath a front window. Mr Blyre and his younger sister, Maudrid, hovered over her prone form with concerned expressions as one of the other guests flapped about, calling for a doctor and a cold compress.

She ignored the soft, silent enquiry from Owen to look upon Maudrid's face, "Please, I am alright. Just a sudden tension headache, no need to cause a fuss."

The older woman scrunched up her nose as her eyes ran across Sang's face, "You nearly fell out of your chair, and you were making the most dreadful sounds. I was extremely shocked and it was only my dear Callen's quick actions that saved you from a tumble to the floor."

Sang nodded at them both in thanks and lifted herself to a seated position, groaning as the world tilted for a second as her body adjusted itself. Her brain felt delicate and she pushed the hair from her neck to remove some of the irritating weight.

"I am surely alright," She murmured to them before turning to the other occupants of the room with the utmost restraint, "Please forgive the disturbance to your dinner."

Most answered with a smile as they moved further away but Mr Blyre leaned in even closer, causing her to bite back a sudden gag. He really did smell awful!

"I believe it'd be best if I escort you back to your room where you may rest for the night," His voice was insistent and kind but she found myself recoiling from his invasive touch.

Cold wind whipped through the room and Sang shivered as it reached even deeper into her mind.

"There is no need for that. Miss Sorenson already has plans for the remainder of the night."