Chapter Twenty Six - When Vamps And Lycans Mix

Sean sighed quietly and sat down beside her, leaving space enough between them that she didn't feel physically overwhelmed, "To be honest...I am not sure. I am quite old, Sang, and never before you have I met a human with such ability as you have demonstrated."

She swallowed the last bite, "Is this where you threaten to kill me if I harbour intentions to injure your family?"

"No," He shook his head, the blonde curls simmering in the room's light. "You have heard that enough and I have never been one to purposely intimidate others."

She gave a short laugh, "I guess North is enough in that department."

"He is and I believe that you already fully understand your position – if you are a threat, we cannot risk for you to return to your masters and if you are innocent...it would mean that the hybrid we are concerned about...has intentions towards you."

She shivered, "What exactly is a hybrid?"

"Have you ever heard the term 'lycan'?"

"Umm...like a werewolf?"

Sean nodded, "Yes, exactly." He paused, his eyes gazing intensely into her own, "You will find that a lot of legends and mythical tales are based on fact. Vampires were not simply thought into existence – a novelist many years ago had the misfortune of meeting an insane Immortal."

Sang lifted a hand to her chest, "Immortals can go insane?"

"Unfortunately, yes." His hand moved to rest in the space between them, as though wanting to comfort her. "After so many years of existence, there is always the possibility that we will give into the darkness."

"Will you..." She couldn't even finish the question.

"Immortals who have lost hope are extremely dangerous creatures – they will kill and feed upon anything they encounter." He tried to smile reassuringly, "We have named them Rogues and do not allow them to live."

"So..." Sang shook her head, "What does that have to do with hybrids?"

"Nothing, really." He muttered, "Hybrids are the result of Immortal and Lycan breeding – normally we can procreate with any species and not be concerned but hybrids are born vicious carnivores who appear human but have all of the intelligence and instincts of a wolf." He looked away, "Since Immortal women are the only species which handle their strength during mating...hybrids actively hunt down our females and force them to breed. I have never been able to discover why females are rarely born to them but it has certainly made them desperate to find sexual...partners."

"Does the fact that they are only breeding with Immortals not change their Lycan DNA?"

"No, it appears that no matter how many generations pass, the Lycan gene always presents as the dominate one."

"And you all think that one of these...creatures is now hunting me?" Her heart began hammering against her ribs.

This time he couldn't stop himself from reaching out to her as his fingers wrapped around the hand clenched in her lap, "Sang..."

She gritted her teeth, "I know that you're all still suspicious but assume, for the moment, that I'm innocent. Why would a hybrid tracking me?"

He ran his free hand through his hair – a move which made him seem somewhat human, "We can only speculate that their interest might stem from Owen's fascination with you. We have never invited anyone except other Immortals into our home."

The colour seemed to drain from her face, "So you may have made me a target."

"Yes," He admitted bluntly.

This time when hysteria rose, she kept a tight reign, "I'm dead anyway then."

His fingers tightened, "No, Sang. When the time comes that you are able to return home, we will ensure that it is done with your safety ensured."

She turned away, "So many 'ifs'." Her mind felt bruised with all that it had been through over the past few days, "I'm tired now."

Understanding, Sean reluctantly pulled away from her, his heart hurting over the pain they had all caused, "It is late." He agreed, "I will leave you to rest."

She never moved as he walked silently towards the bedroom door.

"Sang," He murmured, his eyes on her blonde tresses, "I will ask that Owen refrain from compelling your sleep tonight but..."

"But what?"

He opened the door, "Do not try to run again when you awaken. If the hybrid were to find you..."

She shuddered, "I'll be here."

"In the house," He insisted, his attention wavering between her and what was being discussed below stairs.

"In the house," She agreed hoarsely, her fingers dragging the necklace from beneath her shirt – a source of comfort when it appeared that there were no others within easy reach.

"Goodnight, Sang."

"Sleep well, Sean."

The door sounded quiet even as the room stilled.

"Oh God," Sang whispered, tears slipping down her cheeks. "This has been a shitty holiday."

Although they sure are beautiful to look at, she added silently before she remembered that Sean hadn't examined her as promised. She pressed a hand to her feverish forehead, wondering. What the hell is happening to me?