Chapter Thirty Seven - Flee And Fall

Her footsteps were the only noise that she could concentrate on. Since the moment when Sang had been hustled from the store, the shield that was normally able to filter out some of the chatter had completely disintegrated allowin everything to pour in.

Philip had quickly split from their group with a final warning that the hybrids probably outnumbered them.

Sang could only wonder if his choice to leave them was because their chances were slim to none.

Owen had shortly explained that they needed to get out of the city centre before they could safely take to the skies. Nothing else had been said as they hustled down the rapidly emptying footpath.

"Wait," She finally gasped, pulling against Nathan's grip on her arm. "I can't keep up anymore."

"There's no time, Sang." Owen snapped, his eyes searching the shadowed corners. "It will only take a few more moments and we will be on our way back to Romania."

She pressed the heel of her hand into her side, "I can't. I'm sorry." Agitation crawled across the surface of her skin, "You can't wait for me and I'm only going to slow you down."

Gabriel tried to soothe her stitch by firmly rubbing the area around her ribs, "I believe that she is implying that we should leave her behind, Owen."

Nathan growled, "We are not cowards to leave a defenceless woman to a pack of animals."

She winced slightly as his fingers dug in above his elbow, "Although it's nice to know that you aren't still accusing me of planning to attack any of you, we all know that the hybrids are coming for me. If you leave me behind..."

"Enough," Victor snapped, his voice a growling snap. "You are returning to our home and we are only wasting time."

When she opened her mouth to say something more, Nathan simply swung her up into her arms. "We need to move."

"You shouldn't have to fight for me," She whispered, so scared that her teeth began to chatter. Although she didn't want to think about the reasons why the hybrids wanted her, she knew that the prospect of harm coming to any of them in her defence would hurt something inside of her.

"You may be drawing them in but nothing you do will change the fact that they are our enemies," Victor answered.

"We war with them regardless of your involvement," Nathan reiterated, his arms warm and secure as their surrounds slowly gave way to deserted spaces, parks and tourist displays.

"This will do," Owen announced, stopping within an arch of trees where not even the streetlights touched the darkness. "Victor."

"Owen," Nathan interrupted, "Perhaps Victor would be of more use staying with you while I ensure that Sang makes it home."

"Why?" Owen asked, his head tilting to the side as Sang began to wonder how it was that she could see so clearly. The lines were slightly blurred but it appeared that she suddenly had night vision.

"His voice. If there are going to be an increased number of them, you will need his assistance."

"The same argument could be made in protection of Sang," Gabriel replied, his cadence steady as he suddenly started to stroke his fingers distractedly through her tangled hair. "We cannot stand here for long. She needs to go."

Owen simply shook his head, "Take her and go, Nathan." His starlit eyes locked onto Sang's drawn and pale face, "Stay safe, Miss Sorenson."

Her breath shuddered, "You too, Mr Blackbourne." She looked over both Gabriel and Victor as well, "All of you need to make it home."

They offered nothing more than nods, all traces of gentleness bleeding away until all she could see were the ancient warriors. The vicious Immortals preparing to go into battle.

A slight shift and the ground dropped away, the pressure of that take off stealing her breath before she thought to tuck her face into his neck.

"You will be fine, Sang,"  He whispered.

Loosening the reigns on her ability, she squeezed her eyes closed, "What if they die? They're your brothers and I don't want to be responsible for..."

"It will not be your fault. We are at war and sometimes we see casualties."

She shook her head.

His arms tightened.

As the wind whipped around them, Sang suddenly heard something almost indescribable – vibrations ringing over her tongue.

"La dracu," Nathan muttered. "You feel that as well, yes?"

"What is it?"

"The hybrids are tracking us along the ground. The sound is their call to arms, they know where you are." 

"Can they hurt us while you're flying?"

He didn't get the chance to answer as she suddenly felt an excruciating pain piercing her right side as Nathan dipped, his arms tightening.

"Sang,"  It was muttered tightly. "Hold on."

"Nathan? What happened?"  She cried, tears slipping steadily down her face as she bit her lip hard enough to draw blood. The pain was blinding, multiplied by the fact that she had no idea what was going on.

"I need to set down."

"We can't go down there!"

"I have no choice. Hold tightly to me."

She screamed silently as they shifted once more, "Nathan?"

"I'm bleeding and the arrow that they shot at me has done damage to my spine. I need to take a moment or we will not have a chance to make it back to the house."