Chapter One - Darkness

He looked out at the full moon and felt the need to scream out his pain, his loneliness, but kept the ragged sound locked behind his clenched teeth, determined that his brothers would not sense it, or hear his pain and hopelessness.

He was the oldest, had been the leader for his people for millennia but he didn't know how to stop the devastating death rate that was sweeping across the world. His race was hidden from the eyes of humans but still the strange creatures fanaticised about meeting ones such as he. Romantic, brooding men and sensuous women, but, in truth, they were hardened warriors who were slowly losing whatever humanity they had been born with.

Darkness crowded amongst their people as the men gave into their bloodlust and the women and children slowly succumbed to disease and weakness.

After two thousand years, he was ready to face his end and leave the responsibility to his heirs - his brothers who he knew would have the strength to get his people through everything that was still to come. They were still young, perhaps young enough to feel joy and love whereas his was gone, used up and buried with his dear, beloved mother when she'd been caught unawares and slaughtered by one of the hybrids that roamed around Europe and America.

The moonlight swamped his vision and he took in a deep breath. "Tonight," he murmured to himself, determined that there would be no delays to his ending. He would leave a message written on the dining table for his friends and then meet the sun when it peaked.

"You know," a feminine voice suddenly whispered through his mind, making him stiffen and examine the barriers that protected his inner most consciousness, "There are still things to live for. I feel your pain and, although I may not understand it or you, I feel powerless to stop from reaching out to help."

He looked around his home and saw nothing out of place, "Who are you?" He asked with suspicion, beginning to weave through the mental pathways and track down the source of the compelling voice.

If she proved to be friend, then it may delay his coming demise only slightly as he ended their meeting, but if she proved to be foe then he would be sure to destroy her before he sought his own peace. It would be his last battle before he pursued the only path open to him, the taking his own life a good thing because, he knew with certainty, that soon he would succumb to the raging monster which lived festering inside all of the males of his race.

"Hmm, I'm nobody important. I simply felt your pain and couldn't stand how broken you sounded. No one should sound like that, especially on a night like tonight," the voice was soothing and distracted as though she were busy and giving only a small amount of attention to the unfamiliar male.

He was reluctantly intrigued by her.

He'd made his final preparations for the night and had anticipated to end his life quietly but now, somehow, she had made a connection.

She had to be close considering the clear peal of her voice but he knew that she wasn't within walking distance of his home. He would have felt her if anyone had dared to physically approach.

"I find that these nights are the ones more likely to rouse such debilitating emotions," he answered and then waited with baited breath for her reply. He was close to acquiring her direction and the second that he did, he would find her and ensure that there was no lingering threat.

Tonight!

He wanted to end this and be done with his suffering but he unwittingly cocked his head, waiting.

Her giggle floated against his ears and his mouth quirked up in a small smile, involuntary considering how long it had been since such an expression had decorated his face, but the sound was delicious and he longed to make it happen again. "What is your name?" He asked, putting a compulsion into his voice. Names had power and with it he could gain a measure of control over her.

The connection strained and almost snapped with her sudden displeasure and hurt, "Don't do that," she cried, "Don't force me to give when I may have given it voluntarily." She pulled again, trying to cut him off.

Trying to leave him.

He felt that feral part of himself rise to the surface, "Stop," he snapped, unsure if he was talking to the monster or the woman. He was an ancient with the youthful body of a twenty five year old man but at the smallest change of tone from this mysterious invader, he was undone, felt compelled to soothe her.

He needed to find her before this went any further, before his brothers entered the house and found him under the thrall of a stranger. He would rather die with honour than be deemed unfit to rule due to a weakness of the mind.

He rubbed at his tired eyes and moved from the windows until he was seated, slumped in front of the sparking fire place. He softened his approach and reached out once more, "I apologize. I didn't mean to hurt you but it is odd to have another in my mind when that person has not been expressively invited."

She was tentative but willing, delicious, "I would think you'd be more worried about having someone in your mind in the first place. It's not exactly normal."

He felt the need to laugh but controlled it, shocked, "You would be surprised by what I accept as normal."

"What is your name?" She asked, her voice becoming drowsy, slumberous.

He looked at the clock and saw that the time was late, but only if one was human, which he most certainly was not but he had a suspicious inkling that she was which only made their connection even more bewildering. His kind never formed close attachments to humans as they were so short-lived, and he'd never before heard of any race except the Elvish being able to communicate with one of his kind in such an intimate way.

He answered her although he knew he should hold it back. He was meant to be the powerful one, the one in charge but he also suspected that she would soon be asleep while he still struggled to locate her.

She was definitely staying within the close-by village, but her current location...it eluded him, peaked his fascination even more.

"Owen Blackbourne." He paused, "And yours, little one?"

"Sang. My name is Sang Sorenson."

She drifted away. Too far for him to reach her without causing grievous injury to such a fragile mind.

He sat back and crossed his ankle over knee.

He would find her but he sighed over the necessity - he would have to face another day it seemed.