Chapter Twenty Three - A Night Of Surprises

Walking up the stairs, Sang looked down at the way that her hand looked within Gabriel's grasp, surprised by how warm and secure it made her feel.

She was still reeling over the fact that he had willingly opened up his soul for her to scour through - her heart felt as though it was both breaking and awakening for the first time in her life.

"Where are we going?" She asked in hushed tones as the silence within the wooden house began to creep along the back of her neck.

He glanced over his shoulder before stepping onto the top landing, "I told you. I would like to give you something, if you will permit it."

Sang tried to keep pace with him as he slowly turned down the hall, stopping outside the room in which she had recently attempted to escape.

Feeling wariness creep through her mind, her eyes darted around restlessly - although the interlude with the blue-eyed Immortal had succeeded in draining her of the majority of her fears, she couldn't help but remember that this seemingly warm home was actually nothing more than a gilded cage.

And that the dangerously enchanting men within it held her fate in the palm of their hands.

A quick turn of the door handle and she once again found herself looking at unadorned walls and standing before a still crackling fire - its warmth a relief.

Having forgotten that Gabriel still had her fingers enclosed within his own, Sang nearly jumped with surprise when they tightened.

"I'm not sure that I've ever actually been in any of these bedrooms," He informed her, his eyes on the mussed bedding.

Her eyes tracing every inch of the room, she could almost see it through his eyes, "How long have you been living here for?"

His shoulders lifted slightly, "I have not tracked time for many years so I cannot answer that question with any truth." He dropped her hand gently and walked over to touch the wood of the bedframe, "I don't like it."

Sang frowned, confused by the whisper, "I'm sorry? You don't like what?"

He waved a hand, "The colours, the emptiness." He blew out a breath, "I am not sure what but there is something about this room that makes me feel..."

She nodded, "It's cold."

He frowned, "I am not sure how it can be called cold," He waved at the fireplace. "Is the heat from the fire insufficient?"

Sang giggled with surprise, "I didn't mean the temperature is cold - I simply meant that there seems to be something lacking."

"Ah," His eyes flashed with feral electricity as he nodded shortly, "Yes, I suppose that I can see that." His gaze narrowed, "You would be unhappy even with your possessions, yes?"

Sang thought it over for a moment, listening to the sudden sense of longing that her soul had for the cosiness of her small home back in Ancient.

"Yes," She admitted, watching him and trying to reconcile his presence within both the world and the bedroom.

"I have no understanding of human females but I thought that allowing you to change this space may make your time with us slightly easier."

Sang looked away, feeling almost ashamed of her need for the boring normalcy that had been her life. "I'm not sure that changing a room would change how I feel."

He released a sigh, "Although you are hoping for a quick resolution to this situation, the truth is that you may find yourself here for longer than you'd like." He paused, watching the way that her eyes flinched, "As I said downstairs, I am mostly convinced of your innocence but I will not compromise my family's safety for anything less irrefutable proof."

Although he knew it hurt her to hear it repeated once more - her innocence and freedom lost - she only nodded and ran her foot along the rug. "So you want for me to change the room to my liking? What can I do?"

"I am not entirely sure if the structure of the room could be changed if that is what you are contemplating but I believe that paint can be purchased to alter the colour of the walls and I know that a number of my brothers enjoy hobbies such as furniture making." He paused with a lost shrug, "You will need to be the one to guide us in this endeavour as the house came put together when we arrived in the region."

For some reason, as Gabriel continued in his explanation, Sang's eyes welled with tears. She had seen how splintered his soul truly was and it was quite obvious that the Immortal band of males was more than a little detached from the human world but here was a an ancient warrior making an effort at discussing curtains. All because he wanted for her to have something to smile about - something that he would oversee himself no matter the opinion of his companions even though she sensed that there were more important things for him to worry about.

"Thank you," She finally whispered, wanting to show gratitude in her usual way by offering a hug but she simply gave a small smile and turned her eyes to where she would love to see a painted portrait of the wolves which had plagued her mind since the vision she had endured before planning the holiday.

Gabriel allowed her time to walk every inch before he suddenly let out a startling hiss, obvious fangs edging below his top lip.

She squeaked and froze in terror as those predatory eyes looked through her, his mind seemingly elsewhere.

"Gabriel?" She breathed, the sound barely loud enough for her to hear even though it appeared to jolt through him.

His gaze snapped back, "The others are returning with the belongings you left at the inn."

"Are...are they alright?" She asked hesitantly, aware that he thought of the others as his brothers, his family.

"Yes, but it appears that we are not the only ones fascinated by you, Sang."

She blinked with confusion, "What do you mean?"

He growled, "A hybrid! You are being hunted."