Chapter Thirty Nine

As Dakota continued to engage in what humans referred to as a 'staring competition' with the wolf, he wished that animals had the ability to think in terms clear enough to understand.

He admitted to fascination as Filos sat patiently in their downstairs office, his nose pressed to the glass of the exterior doors.

Silas crossed his arms as he also watched the dangerous creature, "What do you think is going on?"

"I do not know," Dakota admitted. "I have never seen a wolf react in such a way, especially an untamed alpha male."

"How did he make it to the house? The pack in this region is extremely territorial and I have never seen one so dark among them."

"The unanswered questions seem to be becoming a large pile." He sighed. "Has there been any word?"

Silas shook his head, "North, Lucian and Sean have ventured back into the town in an attempt to find traces of the hybrid. There has been no word from the others settled in this region."

"Who have you been able to contact?"

"Axel, Raven, Marc and the twins Brandon and Corey. I made sure not to mention Sang but they will all be keeping careful watch of anything strange within their settlements."

Dakota nodded, "With luck, the mystery of Miss Sorenson will be solved soon enough and she will be able to return home."

The Greek Immortal's head tilted, "You believe in her innocence then?"

"You don't, brother? I still have some small reservations but many things were resolved for me when she stood in defence of you."

"She should not have done that," Silas snapped, still feeling something close to rage at the memory of the small human beneath the deadly teeth of her companion. "It was foolish."

Dakota agreed, "But still, she pushed you to the side and showed great distress when you were affected by the sunlight. After all my years, I cannot doubt my ability to identify genuine displays of emotion. She was not playacting."

"I find it curious that we claim to be able to sense and identify her emotions but none of us admit to being able to experience them any longer, brother."

Dakota shifted, his eyes once more on the silent guardian awaiting the human's return, "This situation has thrown away our balance."

"Ah," Silas murmured, his large body easing against the desk, "But do we blame her for that or could it be that something has finally awoken our family from the coming ennui?"

"Only time will tell, my old friend. First we must..." Dakota bit off into silence as he suddenly felt the sweeping tide of Nathan's determination.

"Dakota, the hybrids have come. Sang is in my care while Owen, Gabriel and Victor ensure the safety of those within Milan..." There was a long pause. "There numbers are too great for me alone, brother."

... ...

Not allowing Sang's fear to become a distraction, Nathan dropped from the cover of the tree into the middle of the large pack which had followed them from Milan.

It was always disconcerting to come face to face with the creatures – their features and bodies looked no different to any Immortals and when interacting with humans, they wouldn't be singled out but, there was an inner darkness, an insane light which was fully illuminated under the moonlight.

A number of their teeth had elongated into fangs as roaring grumbles continued to escape their chests.

"Immortal," One hissed, its mouth spitting saliva as he attempted to count their numbers.

Normally there would be no issues with destroying a number of them on his own but it was quickly apparent that they had gathered in force. Even with the boost that Sang's blood had given him, Nathan wouldn't be able to stop them all.

His mind expanded until he was able to find the strongest of his brothers within contact range, "Dakota, the hybrids have come. Sang is in my care while Owen, Gabriel and Victor ensure the safety of those within Milan..." He paused as he fought away a foreign sense of desperation - Sang's safety had been entrusted to him alone. "There numbers are too great for me alone, brother."

He knew that he would fall.

"Hold them back," Dakota answered, his voice hard with command.

"Travel swiftly."

His eyes glanced upward once more before he let out a slow breath, his muscles loosening as he prepared for what might be the most vicious battle of his life.

"Give us the woman," One of the creatures his, its human form stretching grotesquely. It was a sight which still had the power to unnerve him – full-blood Lycans had the ability to change shapes whereas hybrids seemed to suffer with their wolf counterparts trapped within a human form.

"Never, abomination," He growled in return, cursing himself for venturing out unarmed. "Why do you seek to acquire her?"

The male gave a coughing roar, "She is ours. She has always been ours." It giggled, "You do not want to keep her. No, no. One such as you would not want to keep her."

"Tell me why!"

Those teeth were on fierce display as it grinned, "Why would I do that, Immortal? You are going to die and words just waste time. Kill!"

"Kill!" The others echoed gleefully. Well over two dozen of them shifting onto the balls of their feet a split second before they launched themselves forward.

Nathan flew over the top of the first row, snapping bones and drawing blood from any who dared to aim for the trunk of the tree in which Sang was hidden.

Claws dug furrows into his exposed skin as the smell of pain and blood perfumed the air.

For a short moment, he thought that there might be a chance for him but they latched teeth into limbs and wrapped themselves against his struggling body.

They forced him to his knees as he ripped chunks of flesh away from those who fought to hold his wrists. He roared, that ever expanding darkness within him almost taking hold as some long forgotten emotion had his heart pounding and moisture gathering at the corners of his eyes.

"Pathetic," The apparent leader spat as he slithered closer. "I will enjoy..."

"Nathan!"