Chapter Forty Three - Trouble and Tears

Watching the sun slowly set, Sang Sorenson sighed and gently tightened her fingers in the fur of her companion, Filos, the large black wolf who had been keeping her company since the moment that she had awoken in the large bedroom on the second storey of the wooden cabin.

"Maybe they'll actually talk to me today," She murmured, her mind wandering back over the week since the hybrid attack.

She had awoken from her faint back in the familiar bedroom alone, terrified of what might have happened while she had lain unaware.

It hadn't taken long for Owen to enter the room but once he had, she really wish that the darkness would have held her longer. Something had been so off with him – she hadn't expected a hug but she also hadn't expected for him to sit as far away as possible and ask her a million questions about her mother and the necklace that she always wore around her neck.

It had significance to his people, he had explained, and there had been some comments from one of the hybrids which had disturbed the members of his family – questions that they wanted answered.

At first she had huddled under the covers of the bed meekly and answered what she could but when he had started to pick at the life she had lived in Ancient, she had thrown back the duvet and demanded an explanation.

Of course, now she wished that she had stayed oblivious...or maybe she even wished that Nathan hadn't been so good in defending her.

She was a hybrid.

To the Immortals, a filthy abomination.

When the others had finally joined the conversation, they had advised her not to put any stock in the creature's words but she knew...she'd always felt as though something was wrong with how she was drifting through life but being the enemy of the men protecting and keeping her hadn't exactly been what she was hoping for.

Her eyes lingered on the ring of trees for a moment, her mind analysing the possibility of escape before the men decided that she wasn't worth the trouble. Each one of them, including North, had tried to assure her that there were no plans to harm her but it was only a matter of time before the truth was confirmed and then she would be facing their weapons once more.

She thought back to her mother, her mind wandering as far away as possible, her fingers sliding gently over the bronze and silver pendant. She had always seemed larger than life, ethereal and too beautiful. There hadn't been a moment where she wasn't smiling or singing gently – Sang had been her entire existence and although sometimes she had been frustrated with her mother's refusal to leave Ancient, Sang had not ever left her side until the very end.

It was all so confusing now – if she was the product of a Lycan and Immortal breeding then why had there never been any signs that her mother was the mystical princess that Owen had spoken about? Sure, Amily had seemed much too young to die but there was not one memory that made Sang question her origin.

"God," She sighed, dropping the necklace beneath her shirt and slumping down onto the top steps. In truth she should be inside unpacking all of the packages which had arrived at the village the day before but boredom had overtaken her after she had hooked up the television and sound system.

She could only guess what else awaited in the countless number of boxes and bags. But not even the prospect of going through all of the wonderful clothes could pull her out of the sudden depression that had settled into her chest.

"What am I going to do, Filos?"

... ... ...

The moment of awakening always felt like a jolt to his system but now it accompanied the need to ensure that she was safe – that nothing had occurred while he lay useless and still beneath layers of earth.

It had been seven days since he had dared to touch her even in passing, seven days since the knowledge that she may be a part of the hybrid race had shuddered through the awareness of his family. It made him realise that no matter what he told the others, no part of him had even still contemplated the possibility of her being an enemy.

But then the battle had occurred and all of the illusions had shattered, his being devastated that she may yet still need to be eliminated.

Growling over the direction of his thoughts, Owen waved a hand at the soil above him, floating his body until he slipped through the large gaping hole still decorating one of the cabin's bare rooms – another thing that had yet to be fixed.

Just as quiet, his eight brothers followed, their silence ringing throughout the hollow house. A simple scan of the surroundings imparted the knowledge that nothing was out of place except for the small, broken woman who sat crying on their front stoop.

Nary a word spoken between them and yet they still moved down the hall and into the study where they could catch a glimpse of her forlorn figure slumped next to her companion.

"She weeps," Silas muttered darkly.

"Don't you think that it's time we sort this out, Owen?" Gabriel hissed. "Enough of the ridiculous suspicions. She is as innocent as we had hoped and as confused as the rest of us. Should we continue to punish her for the actions of others? Someone went to great lengths to hide all knowledge about her parents and I feel low for treating her in such a manner."

"She's a hybrid," North growled in half-hearted protest, trying to ignore the way the little human's chest tightened with hurt.

"She displays none of the usual traits," Sean pointed out. "And should we really treat her so when she is clearly the last descendant of the Domnitor line?"

"This is all conjecture," Nathan shrugged. "Nothing has been proved and the only thing to come from our distance is the refiring of her desire to run. Until we reach Mutyr's kingdom, I believe that we should treat her on actions not the possibilities."

"Well said," Victor murmured. "I must admit that I have actually grown quite fond of the girl."

"I have as well," Lucian agreed. "I won't keep away from her anymore especially when she depends upon us for survival."

"She's gone," Dakota announced suddenly, his tone louder than any of the others.

"What?" The others all barked, not bothering to check out the window before they all ran out of the front door, muscles tightening and fangs dropping in preparation for battle or a chase.

The snow over the week had let up a fraction but there was still enough for each of them to see the deep imprints left by Sang and Filos as they skirted around the side of the building.

"This girl is going to be the death of us," Gabriel grumbled. "Trouble."

"But cute," Lucian added, his senses not picking up on anything suspicious.

Silence fell between them after that, each one's thoughts running through the millions of scenarios which could have caused one human in the centre of their domain to disappear.

None were prepared for what they found when they finally stepped out from the shadow of the house and glanced towards the rear treeline.