I ʙᴇʟᴏɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ.

Start from the beginning

Since she could think of nothing to say, she just smiled at the man awkwardly before Miles rushed her out by placing his hand on her back and leading them all the way to the parking lot. 

"You scared us a lot, little man." Miles chuckled, ruffling Joel's hair. "It's good you're okay." 

Contrary to Mile's friendly face, Luisa's had turned stern and serious. She placed her hands on her hips, quirking a brow at her little brother. 

"Have anything to say for yourself?" 

Miles stared at her confused. 

Joel looked down on the ground, shifting on his feet and playing with his small fingers, making Luisa's stern act falter. Dammit, how did Zoe manage to be a tough parent when it came to Joel.? He was adorable. She could never find it in her to ground someone as adorable as this little guy. And Miles could agree with her. 

"Lu, I think he's gone through a lot for a day." Miles placed his hand on her arm, trying to calm her down but she kept her cool. 

She'd never been distracted or swayed by a man before and today wasn't going to be her first. 

"Joel, you know lying isn't good especially about things like this? Do you know how worried we were? How can you worry us like that?" 

He was acting all this time?? 

Miles gasped, staring at the little sneaky fox with the face of an angel, in disbelief. 

"You were lying? You're not sick?" Asked he and Joel shook his head, making the man laugh. 

He kneeled in front of Joel. "Damn, boy you're good. Even I didn't notice it was a lie. Have you thought of becoming an actor? I can make you famous!" Miles grinned and Joel's guilty frown disappeared to be replaced by a smile. 

"Really?" 

"Don't encourage him!" Luisa scolded and Miles rose his hands up in peace. 

"I'm sorry, Lu. I won't do it again. I promise." He extended his pinky out for a pinky promise and Luisa smiled proudly at her little brother, locking her pinky with his before placing a kiss on his forehead. 

"That's my boy." 

Miles couldn't help but feel as if he was intruding in their touching, heartwarming moment. 

"Why did you lie in the first place?" She asked after having gotten over it. Luisa wasn't mad she had lied. She was mad because she had gotten scared to death thinking Joel was hurt seriously only to find out everything was okay. 

His little cheeks flushed in embarrassment again and he began to chew on his bottom lip before confessing. "I had a test in math." 

Silence followed his little innocent confession before both Luisa and Miles burst into laughter. 

"All this noise for a math test?" 

"He's smart. Admit it." Miles snickered. "I'd have never come up with that. Kids nowadays are evil." 

At their teasings, Joel stumped his foot on the ground and stuck his tongue out at them childishly resulting in them laughing again from amusement. 

Their happy moment didn't last long. A familiar woman clad in a floral skirt and expensive pieces of jewelry, walking up to them in heels which clicked on the paved road, creating an irksome tune interrupted them, vanishing their happy smiles like magic. 

"Mom!" Luisa sputtered in shock at her sight. It's been a while since she'd seen her. "What are you doing here?"

This woman disappeared so many times, Luisa should've gotten used to it by now but she never did nor did she think she would. Seeing her come out of the shadows when Luisa least expected it was unsettling.