Chapter Thirteen

Hello! Hope you'll enjoy!

This is very emotional I think? Have fun and make sure to tell me your thoughts

Jeongguk calls Taehyung after a few hours of debating but the other doesn't answer, not even to his text messages. He assumes it's about Taehyung's insecurities so he doesn't want to pressure him, sending a last message in which he asks him to call whenever he feels like it. He knows it's probably hard because, for him, it feels like he's gotten slapped really hard and brought to reality after a long time of focusing on dreams and hopeless things. He doesn't know Taehyung's story, why he seems so sad, afraid, so he doesn't have the right to judge his actions even if he still feels hurt by the fact that he's left like that.

He wants to wait, wait for him to reach out, so he does just that, letting the days pass by as he still sends him texts when he wakes up, when he falls asleep. People like Taehyung, people that seem scared of something, have to constantly be reassured that everything's fine, so Jeongguk does just that, messaging the other when he falls asleep or when he wakes up.

Four days pass like that before Taehyung's name finally flashes on his screen in the middle of a meeting. Jeongguk doesn't even care that his employees side eye him when he gets up to answer, mumbling something about it being important. He's never answered a call during a meeting but he hasn't talked to Taehyung in four days so, when he finally answers, hearing his soft breathing over the phone, Jeongguk feels blessed.

"Tae? Are you ok?"

There's a long pause before Taehyung breaks the silence with a sigh. "Yeah, sorry for not reaching out. Could, could we meet up tonight?"

Jeongguk frowns, immediately knowing that something is wrong from the tone of Taehyung's voice, wondering what it is that makes his mood change like that.

"I can come now if you want me to." He shouldn't do that but the words still fall because Jeongguk has done too many sacrifices for his job and too less for himself.

"Yeah, I'd like that. Uh, we can meet up in the park next to the restaurant. My shift will be over in 20 minutes."

Jeongguk likes to think that he doesn't bolt out of his office in the following five minutes but he does exactly that, driving as slow as he can afterwards when he realizes he'll be too early and he'll look like a dumbass. He still gets to the park early, holding a pack of chocolate dipped strawberries he bought from a vender on the way and two mango smoothies, something he just adores with his whole heart. He's a little surprised to notice that Taehyung is already sitting on one of the benches, his back turned towards him as he twirls a strand of grass in his fingers.

He walks towards him, the other looking up startled when he notices his presence.

"Oh, you're early." He says with a hint of a smile on his face but not one that makes his eyes sparkle.

"Mhm, got off earlier from work." He's lying but he doesn't care about that for now because, when he looks at Taehyung again, he finally notices the black spots under his eyes and the paleness of his cheeks. "Here, I brought you strawberries."

Taehyung smiles at that, taking the strawberries in his hands, but he doesn't start eating. He stares at the sky, again, and Jeongguk really wants him to do something else instead, to stare at him.

"Thank you, Jeongguk. You're too nice."

His words seem cold, robotic, programmed, like he's being forced to act like that by something deep inside him. Jeongguk isn't sure what he's supposed to do. Is he supposed to hug him? Kiss his cheeks and sad eyes? Just stay in silence until someone breaks it? He doesn't know how feelings work or how, whatever it is between them, even works, so he's unsure as well. The only thing he feels comfortable enough to do is hold Taehyung's fingers between his, in an attempt to warm them both up from the cold air dropping over their shoulders. There seems to be a new layer of coldness between them as well.