Voice Of An Angel

Depuis le début

*Harry*

My brain refused the right of my eyes to close as I tried my best to listen in on the meeting I was currently in. Jessie Moore. My newest client in Robinson Records.

She was quite the brat and chose to meet me 7 at night. Who does that? I planned on going home earlier because over the past five days I've only been able to get ten hours of sleep. Once the meeting was over, I walked Jessie Moore and her manager out the door of the meeting room. Then, I heard the voice of an angel.

"Where is that coming from?" I asked no one in particular. I looked to the receptionist and she pointed to recording room one. I dismissed Moore and her agent and walked into the room.

My eyes grew big as the owner of the beautiful voice was Josie herself. Her lyrics were kind of funny and very sad. Once she was done, I clapped along with the man who was in the room. He must have let her sing or something. What's his name again?

I clicked on the mute button and shouted into the intercom, "That was amazing!" Josie's face turned red and she freaked out.

"Harry!" Her worried look turned into a smile and she rushed to the door of the mechanic room. The young man in the chair looked up at the mention of my name and stood up with fear.

"Mr. Robinson! I—I—"

"It's okay if you let her in. She's a friend of mine."

"No, I was sleeping when I woke up to her singing." I smiled and the man blushed.

"It's all good. It's after hours anyway." Josie was already in the room and shyly came over to us men.

"Sorry," she began, "I couldn't resist."

"It was beautiful."

"How much of it did you hear?" She asked a bit timidly, clenching her stomach.

"I was only able to come halfway through I think but what I heard was really good. Why haven't you signed up with a record dealer sooner?"

"Hah, I need money to even record a demo."

"Ah, well then, good thing I have a studio."

"Ah, but I am barely making it by as it is at the moment." I nodded.

"What if ... I were to lend you a favor?" She looked at me bewildered.

"I don't know. That's no fare."

"But I just heard you, and I would like to sign you." She fiddled with her hands and I stuck my sweaty ones in my pockets. I turned around to the man still sitting in his chair wearing a very ugly hip shirt and asked, "Were you able to record it?" He shook his head. I turned to Josie. "Come by next week during work hours and record a few songs. I'll look over them and we can talk later. And if your floor manager gives you a hard time, you can tell them to take it up with me." She smiled brightly.

"Are you serious?" I nodded stupidly. She squealed and jumped up and down. We left the studio together and I offered to walk her out.

"I don't think you understand how much this means to me." She added as we climbed into the elevator.

"I'm glad I can help." She smiled at her toes and I smiled back at the reflection in the closing metal doors.

"Oh, here's my number. So that when you decide if you like my work or not, you can reach me." I nodded and took the slip of paper she gave me. I pulled out my phone and quickly typed in a new contact.

"What is your last name?"

"Mills." I then wrote down my number.

"Here, if you ever need anything." She took the slip of paper she gave me with my own number on it now and yet still added a teasing remark.

"Don't guys like you have a card or something? You know, when you see potential as a talent scout, you should go up to the rising star and give them your card then you say, "We would love to work with you,""

"I would love to work with you, Josie Mills." I gave her a gray card with my business's logo on it.