Chapter 21 | fight for noteworthiness

Start from the beginning

Wow!

If he had said these words yesterday, my heart would have made multiple flips because of how naive I was.

His caring side blurted out yesterday after the glass cut injury for show; to prove that the tabloids were fake and that his personality was clean.

Mr. Horton was a player.

"So be it."

Tasha threw a kinda disapproving glare at me.

She sat in between her son and his cousin, not taking her eyes off me.

"Elisabeth, we have an unfinished discussion, take note."

Her lips twirled in a fierce grin.

"AS A FAMILY, WE have to face this issue together. If Dwain married his wife out of love, no matter her background we have to support him. Tasha, you have to because Elisabeth is his happiness."

Leonard shrugged in his seat and held Tasha's hand.

She objected. "But. . ."

"No Tasha, Now, it's left to Dwain to prove his love openly to the society and these Japanese investors. If you succeed this Dwain, then tabloid's article will have no grounds to stand on."

For the past minutes, Leonard suggested a series of strategies that might be best in solving this tabloid outbreak.

Dwain would only confirm that he loved his wife. . . which was a lie, each time Tasha objected.

He succeeded in convincing Leonard that the wedding wasn't fake, but accepted the fact that the wedding was rushed because of the merge.

They didn't disturb my peace with any opinion and I was glad they didn't.

"Leonard, my son might have trapped your brain into his court, but not mine. As well as he will prove to society that his wedding isn't fake, he will have to prove to me that it isn't fake. One last chance is all I give to this wedding."

Tasha stood up, excused herself, and walked out of the dining.

Holding my lips captive in between my teeth, I swallowed the lump in my throat and avoided Dwain's eyes.

If this wedding had to work as Tasha wanted, then Elisabeth had to come and take her rightful place in this mansion.

I straddled out of my thoughts at Liam's entry.

Liam came running in with his red sleeveless top, red shorts, and white sneakers while an exhausted Perez came chasing after him with a basketball in between his palms and an outfit similar to Liam's, but blue.

"Leo, Leo, Leo."

Liam opened his arms wide enough to engulf Leonard.

Leonard chuckled and picked up sweating Liam from the floor and squeezed him into his chest, his hand ruffling Liam's hair.

"My Little basket-baller, I missed you man," Leonard said in between laughs and tickling from Liam. "Tell me you nailed all your shots."

Liam chuckled and hid his head in the crock of Leonard's neck. "Ten out of ten Leo."

He unwrapped his hands from Leonard's neck and brought his palms close to his face, showing all his ten fingers with a gorgeous smile.

Dwain didn't seem to be bothered by his little brother's entry.

"I got goodies in my car for you, from toys to chocolates, to cookies-"

Liam placed his little finger on Leonard's lips.

"Ssh. . .hhh, don't let Cami hear you. She doesn't like chocolates," he whispered.

Leonard laughed and tossed Liam in his hands. "I won't tell her. Don't you want to greet Dwain and Elisabeth?" Leonard placed him down. "Dwain doesn't bite, c'mon."

Liam's happiness faded as he strolled towards Dwain, his eyes staring at the floor.

"Hi, " he said, his voice barely audible. Then he opened his hands and looked at Dwain. "Peas, carry me."

Dwain picked his brother in his arms and placed him on his thighs, no smile on his face.

Liam leaned and hugged his neck, but Dwain took time before returning the hug.

"Take a bath, " Dwain mumbled and placed his kid one down.

Liam quickened his steps and halted in front of me, with a bright smile that had replaced his frustration.

"Hi, Cami said your name is Lisa. Can I call you buddy?"

His eyes blinked at me.

His cuteness, his tenderness, how could I say no to him?

"Yes, buddy."

I smiled at him and he smiled back before running towards Leonard.

"Perez, come with us, I have goodies for you too."

Leonard left with Liam and Perez, leaving me to Dwain Horton.

Dwain stood on his feet, grabbed his chair along with him, and placed it next to me.

He settled in it and silence hit us like a storm.

The closeness gave me goosebumps all over my arms, and I trembled.

"Elisabeth, tomorrow, we both are talking about our wedding and yesterday's incident, but first thing in the morning, I will drive you to the hospital."

He stood up to leave but stopped. "You have to play along and behave as a wife will do, remember you caused this mess."