Chapter 06 | caught between vows

The wedding cottage consisted of three luxurious cars, decorated with white, blue, and green petals, running down the glass windows and brushing over the pink and white ribbons.

The limousine which transported grandma and I shuffled in a straight line, not diverting from the middle of two black hummer jeeps which transported another squad of guards, the bridesmaids, and some flower girls and boys.

I watched familiar streets race past me as we drove by.

My bouquet panicked while my heartbeats increased.

It wasn't too late to run.

Fear drenched my bones, twisted my hopes, and crushed my strength; but I didn't break down.

Grandma held my hands, smiled at me, and caressed my palms.

I stopped peering through the thick glass and gazed at my flowers.

Soft strokes, continuous circles, little pressure; all these little gestures of her's borrowed my attention.

Her lips twitched and her large blue eyes blink in harmony.

Shifting close to me, she took note of my uneasiness and frowned.

"Lisa, take it easy on yourself. Trust me, there is nothing to fear, and please don't spoil this day, look at the tears in your eyes, " she brushed a napkin against my eyelids and dried the moisture which blurred my line of sight.

The silence between us didn't last long as the Limousine halted with a boisterous sound.

Our new location stroke my sight.

There, not far from the cottage, people rushed into the cathedral; smiling and saluting each other.

Curiosity, anxiety, and impatience traveled beneath my skin.

How could this tragedy be real?

I glanced at the name tag ahead of me.

It read: St Augustine's Cathedral.

The name was written in bold, resting above the church bells.

Hanging roses crawled in between each letter of the cathedral's name and tangled with the bells.

The door to the limousine flew open.

On the church pavements, a red carpet scurried from the car to the white and green colorful entrance of the cathedral.

On either side of this carpet, security men stood in straight lines.

Why all this security?

I couldn't do this.

"Lisa, wait."

Grandma stopped me from stepping out of the car.

She brought out a velvet box and handed it to me.

"This is the chain that we pass on to all the ladies of our family when they are getting married. Your mum was supposed to be the person giving you this, but since she's no more. . . It's my place to hand it to you."

Tears streamed down her cheeks and she hurriedly tidied her eyes.

I couldn't do anything or say a word.

My stare lingered on her but I didn't move a muscle to show remorse.

I tugged the box and opened it, behold, set before me was a silver necklace that had a simple leaf with the word, 'Love,' inscribed on it.

Before I could say a word, grandma took the necklace from my hands, "let me help you with it."

She fastened it around my neck and the necklace settled in between my cleavage. "You are now a woman, " she mumbled.