Chapter 72 | delusional woman online

My eyes narrowed at Dwain's insinuations, the lines between delusion and reality suddenly blurring, irrational alarms firing with the loudness of a siren in my ears.

I resisted the seething urge to stuff my ears with my fingers, the shooting pain becoming somewhat unbearable, and all of my knuckles turned into a frightening shade of white as they fisted against my will to alleviate the persisting discomfort.

Elisabeth had warned me against falling in love with Dwain, finding numerous excuses to prove the guy was simply a walking red flag, but the heart unlike other organs made the rules, many of which included deciding with whom to fall in love.

Perhaps, I should have listened to Elisabeth's advice.

If I had paid more attention, this situation wouldn't have even existed.

Remorse feasted on my conscience, drinking from my sorrows.

My life was doomed, running around in endless circles of chaos.

I was currently experiencing fifty shades of dreadfulness.

As if it weren't enough, I had already broken one of our many promises, yet I was on the brink of breaking another promise and downright betraying Elisabeth's trust.

Elisabeth wasn't a saint herself, but betrayal of any sort was still betrayal.

She would never approve of me snitching the secret we held onto so dearly.

It was way too risky she had invested a lot of energy and timely efforts in talking me out of making rash decisions that would put an end to my life as well as hers.

The tension in the room thickened as Dwain kept glaring at me.

It was my entire fault, making up a hundred thousand ideas in his head, giving him false hopes, and watching him wait for the suspicion he had conjured to get cleared.

Perhaps, I was just a naturally bad person.

I was a very bad person who hadn't realized how evil and inconsiderate she was towards others, especially towards genuine people like Dwain.

It led me to wonder about how much of an effect my absent parents had on me.

Ignoring my hesitation to address the questions he had previously asked, Dwain's deep voice grew cold, it was distant, trembling with suppressed anger as he retorted. "Is there something you need to tell me?"

Pangs of guilt troubled my conscience.

Dwain's question had ignited another sense of dread within me.

I couldn't bear to see his face twisted in anger, to witness the trust between us crumble like dry clay.

I hoped that the indirect approach of revealing the truth would grant me a glimpse into Dwain's reaction, preparing me for what lay ahead, yet it was backfiring, creating suspicions that necessitated to be addressed in the serenest way possible.

I didn't want to start a fight, talk less of quarreling.

I was more concerned with the execution of my plan.

So, there was no room for turning back.

I couldn't turn back, it was already too late.

I continued my act, lowering my mortified gaze, unable to meet his penetrating stare, yet gently squeezing his hand, hoping to provide some momentary comfort.

The opportunity to come clean had presented itself, the long-awaited opportunity to let the truth unravel, but I couldn't bear the thought of receiving Dwain's resentment and losing his love forever.