Fenestare

When Thor and I came back into the living room after putting the twins down for a nap, Loki was waiting for us. Thor looked him over and furrowed his brow. "I did not expect you to be back so soon."

"I have been busy," Loki replied sounding bored.

Thor went and sat beside him and I sat beside Thor. "What did you discover?" Thor asked.

"Your council appears to be trying to stage a coup," Loki explained. "Might I suggest calling for a Fenestare?"

"What's that?" I asked.

"It is a battle to the death," Thor said.

It felt like my stomach flipped over and something cold gripped my heart. "Oh," I said.

"It proves his worth as both ruler and warrior," Loki explained. "It would quash the naysayers."

"Right," I said. I didn't want to tell him no, I forbid it. I just... the idea of it was horrible. I didn't want him to have to risk his life. What if he didn't win? What if he did and that's the legacy we were walking into? If someone questions you, you murder them?

"Are there other options, brother?" Thor asked.

"Not especially," he said. "None that would work."

I started twisting my hands together and Thor slipped his between mine and held them. "Who would I be challenging?"

"Elder Vasnor," Loki said. "He is the one that is leading this campaign about the lost son and heir. He is the most against you having halfling children too. If you take him out the others will follow."

I frowned and looked down at Thor's hand. "What are the chances you will win?"

"Against Vasnor and with the rules of a Fenestare?" Thor mused. "I'd say about 70 percent."

I let out a breath and raised my eyes to his. "I don't... I don't want to get in the way of your customs. But is this what you want to model to your children?"

"I don't want them there," Thor said, sadly. "But Elise, I'm not seeing any other option."

I frowned and nodded and he pulled me close to him. I buried my face in his chest as he rubbed my back. "They never wanted me to rule, they want me to do this. They expect me to lose."

"This was inevitable, Elise. I had to perform a Fenestare within a week of my rule." Loki said.

"You do not have to attend," Thor said, gently.

I nodded again. "I'll do whatever you need me to do."

Thor looked up at Loki but continued to stroke my back soothingly. "We should arrange for this as soon as possible."

"What happens if you lose?" I asked, looking up at Thor.

"At the risk of sounding like a loving brother," Loki answered. "He will not."

I chuckled at Loki's need to seem aloof. "Okay... But... what if?"

"Then my niece and nephew are without their father and counsel will gain rule of Asgard. Whoever they seem to think is Aldrif will gain rule." Loki explained. "It would not be safe for any of you here, I would smuggle you out. I'm sure Heimdal will help."

I nodded. I really felt like I was going to throw up all over both of them. I took a deep breath and focused on the beat of Thor's heart. It was slower than most people's. A slow and steady thud-thud.

"I'd make sure they were provided for," Thor added.

I swallowed and nodded again. Now the urge to cry was building in me too.