Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Let's go here, first!" Sarah exclaimed, pulling my hand into the nearest store on the street. It felt strange to be out in town. I haven't been in public for a long time, not that I was complaining or anything.

But dress shopping? Not exactly my idea of fun.

Sarah went over to the racks and immediately began to look for her perfect green dress. I casually walked over and glanced along the wall. Maybe there would be a nice red one for me.

"Ooh! How about this one?" Sarah asked, holding up a pretty green dress. I smiled.

"I like that," I told her.

"Okay, I'll just put all of the ones I like on this chair." I nodded, looking for red. I saw a few red dresses, but they were pretty short, and we were only allowed floor length dresses. Meanwhile, Sarah picked out a few more green dresses and put them on the chair.

"Psst, Annalise!" I heard her whisper by my ear. I jumped and turned around to face her. "Sorry. Don't look now, but behind me on the other side of the store, a cute boy from our school is staring at you." She said with a smile on her face.

Of course, since she told me not to look, I just had to peek over her shoulder. She was right. I recognized the boy from my classes. He was in all of them with me, but I had never talked to him before. He was very good looking, with dark hair and blue eyes, and he was looking in our direction with a little smile on his face. He was in the tuxedo section, so he was probably shopping for the formal too. I felt someone smack me in the shoulder.

"Idiot! I told you not to look!" Sarah whispered.

"Sorry!"

"Come here!" She said, grabbing her dresses and pulling me into the women's changing room and into a stall. "Get your hair out of there," she said, pulling my hair out of its rubber band.

"Ouch!"

Sarah reached into her purse and pulled out some sort of small cylindrical thing. All of a sudden, she reached for my face and applied some mascara. After that, she fixed my hair, then opened the stall back up. "I'll be in here!" She said, smiling. Then she pushed me out of the changing room.

"Oh!" I exclaimed as I ran into someone. "I'm so sorry!" I said.

"Hey, it's okay," I looked up to see the boy that was staring a couple minutes ago. I stood frozen, unable to move. "Annalise, right?" He asked. I nodded, and he smiled. He knew my name? "Cool, I'm Logan." I smiled a little, still too shy to say anything. He laughed. "You don't say much, do you?" I shook my head, too nervous to say "no."

"That's okay. So, are you getting a dress for the formal?"

"Yeah," I said, my voice finally coming out.

"Hmm," he said, looking around the store. After a minute or so, he walked to one of the racks and pulled a red dress off the hanger. "I like this one." I looked at it as he held it up. It was very beautiful. It wasn't glittery or flashy, it was just the way I like it.

"Me too," I said, smiling.

He handed it to me. "Then you should try it on," he said, smiling a little shyly at me.

I nodded and walked into the changing room, picking the stall next to Sarah's. I pulled the dress on and zipped it in the back. I tied the ribbon and looked in the mirror. Wow, Logan really did pick out a good one. I made sure it fit everywhere correctly, and then I changed back into my old clothes and stepped out of the changing room.

"So?" Logan asked from the bench. "Do you like it?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I really do."

Just then, Sarah came out of the changing room with one of the green dresses she picked out.

"Annalise, I think I am going to go with this one," she said, then stopped immediately when she saw Logan. "Oh, hey!"

"Hey," he said, then looked back to me. "I guess I'll let you two finish your shopping, then." I smiled.

"Okay. Thank you for helping me," I told him.

"No problem. Your date will love seeing you in that," he said, winking at me.

I wanted to tell him that I didn't have a date, nor would I ever look that good, but I couldn't find my voice. I felt my face turn red, and so I just gave him a little smile.

"See you at school," he said, walking away.

"Bye," I managed to choke out.

Sarah gave me a look, saying "What just happened?"

"Later," I told her looking down at my feet.

"Alright, let's go check these out," she said. We waited in line and bought our dresses, then exited the store. It was just starting to get dark outside.

"Wait a minute, I forgot my wallet on the counter," I told her. "You go ahead, I'll be right back."

She nodded, and I went back into the store. It took me a little while to get to the checkout, but I finally got there and took my wallet. I left the store again, but Sarah was nowhere to be seen. I started heading the way we were going earlier, trying to look for her car.

But then there was a hand clamped over my mouth.

"You're not going anywhere."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12/30/14

Thanks for reading! It's a little bit longer than usual, so I hope you enjoyed it!