Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I stood on the mat across from Devin and prepared myself for the worst.

I peeked at Daniel and Ryder. They were both going at it. It was hard to tell who was winning, but I am pretty sure they actually had something against each other.

I turned back to Devin, who had his arms in front of him. I was about to do the same, but then he suddenly lunged at me. I made some sort of tiny scream as I felt his hands on my wrists. I quickly tried to pull my hands away, but he was way too strong. I lifted my foot and tried to kick him, and he grabbed my leg and pulled up, causing me to fall on my back.

"Ow!" I cried.

"Annalise?" I heard Daniel's voice call.

Devin grabbed my hand and pulled me up with a lot of force, causing me to bump into him.

"Can't keep your hands off me, can you?" He whispered into my ear.

I struggled to get away from him, but he took my arm and twisted it backwards, causing me to yell out in pain. He threw me to the ground again, and I landed on my cheek.

On impact, my teeth clenched down on my lip, and I could taste the blood pouring out. I stayed on the ground for a minute, just waiting for him to finish me. I saw his pair of boots approaching me, and they stopped in front of my face. After a few seconds, his boot swung back, preparing to kick me in the face. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see it happen.

And then I heard the loudest crack I have ever heard in my life.

But for some reason, I never felt the blow. I opened my eyes to see Devin laying on the ground in front of me. He was cradling his nose, and blood was dripping out of his hands.

I looked up, and Ryder was standing over his body with an angry expression and a clenched fist with Devin's blood on it.

"Oh my gosh." I said shakily. Ryder's eyes snapped to mine, and his expression softened. He quickly took my hand and helped me up.

He looked at my face and said a bad word.

"Daniel's getting something for your lip. Just hold on."

A few feet away, Professor Masters was helping Devin up and telling him to go to the nurse. He got up and stumbled down the staircase.

"Excellent work, Ryder!" Professor Masters said. "Excellent! Perhaps you can help Annalise in your training session tonight."

Ryder nodded. "I plan on it sir. "

He smiled. "Good. Now go take the poor girl downstairs and get her cleaned up."

He nodded again and took me down the stairs. He sat me down on a bench, and Daniel came out of the bathroom with a wad of paper towels.

"Annalise, are you okay?!" He asked, rushing over to me. I nodded, and he pressed the towels to my bleeding lip. I winced and pulled my face away. "We need to stop the bleeding." He pressed it down again, and I let him this time, even though it hurt.

"Hold still, your cheek is bruising," Ryder said. He held his hand up, and for some reason, it glowed a whitish-blue color. He pressed his hand to my cheek, and it felt like he put on an ice pack. It was freezing.

Ryder chuckled. "Annalise, you sure are lucky to have me as your knight in shining armor."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/30/14

Thanks for reading!