Chapter Nineteen

Trance and I left the shop. There wasn't any point in cleaning up since Susie was dancing with the dead, and we couldn't return. It would've just been a waste of time. We walked among the frozen people. Time continued to stand still.

"I almost forgot."

He chanted a spell and sent an enormous wave through the crowd of people by clapping his hands once more. The crowded street came to life as everything returned to normal. No one noticed that they were frozen.

Trance led me to a jewelry shop. The young man standing behind the counter grew excited. His brown eyes widened. He took a slight bow for us.

"Welcome back! And who's the girl you brought with you?"

I turned to look at Trance. Only other demons and gifted humans can see him. He rubbed my back. It looks like Trance trusts him.

"This is my girlfriend. I came to look for a necklace."

My face flushed in a bright red. It was more embarrassing than I'd imagined it to be. 

"Ah. She seems lovely. What's your name?"

I fidgeted with my hands. The man patiently waited for my response.

"...Scarlet..."

"That's a nice name. I like it. So...what kind of necklace can I get you."

Trance took over the conversation. He seemed to be well acquainted with the young man. I couldn't really focus on what they were talking about. I was too busy thinking about my relationship with Trance. I don't know what to do with myself at this point. I thought I was just going to be a lonely hermit living in my mother's basement for the rest of my life.

"So...Scarlet...do you like this one?"

The man held out one necklace. A black ribbon choker with a beautiful rose charm on the front.

 A black ribbon choker with a beautiful rose charm on the front

I took it from the young man's hands and looked closely at it. It was simple yet beautiful. I turned to look at Trance.

"I love it."

"Then we'll take this one. Mateo, can you ring us up?"

The young man nodded and trotted over to the cash register. So his name is Mateo... 

Trance bent over. His mouth hovered near my ear.

"Your not getting any funny ideas, are you?"

"Geez no! I was just wondering what Mateo's race is...and why you seem to know him so well."

"Don't be jealous. He's not my type."

I tapped his arm with my fist and laughed. Mateo looked up from his cash register to see what was so funny. Trance took that moment to steal a kiss from me. Both Mateo and I blushed at the same time. I was embarrassed. Although, I didn't know why he blushed.

Mateo bagged the necklace and handed it to Trance. Trance took the necklace, grabbed my hand, and pulled me out the door. I wanted to say bye to Mateo, but Trance just continued walking without any concern for the jeweler boy.

As soon as we were out of Mateo's sight, Trance dragged me into a narrow alley.

"Don't laugh like that in front of other guys."

"What's so wrong with my laugh?"

Trance pinned me against the brick wall. His face was a few inches from mine.

"It's too cute to share with the other guys. They'll get funny ideas. Mateo thought it was cute too. But you're mine. Do I really have to explain why I kissed you in the store?"

"Sorry...I'm still kind of new to the world of people. I don't understand guys as well as you do...since you're an actual guy yourself."

"Enough talking and just kiss me already."

Trance kissed me with much more force than usual. I felt like I was being swept off of my feet by the current. My knees gave out, but Trance caught me before I fell.

***

A bat nearby was perched on a building above. A familiar green marking glimmered in the sunlight as it flew to the butcher shop a few shops down. It landed on a woman's shoulder, whispering its observations into her ear. She snapped her fingers, and the bat turned into a pile of ash.

"I've finally found his weakness."

Her demented laughter bounced off of the metal walls. The pigs by her feet squealed in fear, piling to the corners of the empty square room.