Chapter Fifteen

I touched my face. It was warm. And wet. I wiped the tears off my face. My nose started running too. Trying to keep my composition was pointless. I busted out crying. I brought my knees close of my chest and hid my face behind my ugly hands. Trance wrapped a comforting arm around me as he scooted closer. I leaned into his chest as I bawled my eyes out. I didn't know the last time he washed his shirt or took a shower, but I couldn't care less. Trance used his other arm to bring me into a close hug. The hat floated to the grassy ground. His distorted growl was much softer than usual.

"Just let it all out. I know it's hard right now. I'm here for you."

That's when I lost it. Those were the words I needed to hear to open the flood gates to my pent up emotions. I was a serial killer. I killed my own mom. My birth father was murdered. My "dad" was dead too. I had no real friends. Trance was the only one left. I had one question.

"D-does it mean you're weak...when you cry?"

"No. It means you've been strong for too long. You can depend on others...me to help you. Carrying all the burden by yourself isn't right, Scarlet. Look at me."

I picked up my head. My face was a swollen, snotty mess. Trance smiled. It was the most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

"I knew you could smile."

I was going to wipe my face, but Trance beat me to it. His large hand grazed my eyebrows. My cheeks. My nose. My chin. Then, my lips. I looked into his red eyes. It wouldn't be a bad thing to fall for a demon...right? I mean, I'm half. I closed my eyes.

"I'm sorry."

Trance extended his arms, pushing me away from his face. He dropped his head.

"Why?"

"I promised your mother that I wouldn't touch you."

"Who gives rat's ass about my mother anymore? It wasn't written in the contract."

I brushed off his hands and snuck in a little peck on Trance's cheek. Blush rushed to my face. Trance scratched his head, grabbed my shoulders, and brought me in for a real kiss. The surprise sent sparks through my body. I was paralyzed from the happiness.

Trance brought me in for a warm, heartfelt hug. A tear streaked down my face. His concern spiked.

"Are you okay? Did I do something wrong?"

I laughed a little.

"I'm fine. Just happy."

Trance picked me up and set me on my feet in front of him.

"Cuddle time's over. Ready to go kick some wrinkled asses?"

"When am I not ready to....did you say 'wrinkled'? That's gross. I don't even want to imagine it."

A picture came to mind. I almost gagged and shook my head to try to get it out of my mind. Disgusting.

"Too late for that now, isn't it?"

Trance held out his hand. I gladly placed mine on his. And we were off.

***

We landed right in front of the shop we had food at earlier that day. I should've guessed. Of course they'd be here. The sign on the front door said it was open for business, but no one was inside.

"It could be a trap so wait out here for me."

Trance opened the door and stepped inside. Nothing happened. He walked up to the front and rang the bell on the counter. Nothing. Trance shrugged and turned to face me. He ran to the door, yanking on the handle with all his might. His eyes went wide as he pointed through the window to something near me.

I dropped to the floor just in time, barely missing a welcoming decapitation. Susie brought the rapier down to the ground as I rolled away, giving myself enough time to recover. Trance still hasn't come out of the shop. Something must've happened. Susie came charging at me. She managed to stab me in the arm. I called forth the demon inside me. The red filter came on like a pair of shades flipping over my eyes. Everything slowed down. Susie's movements were easy to read. Her face sluggardly changed from a victorious glee to pure horror. I snapped the blade of her sword and pulled the piece out of my arm. The wound closed up like nothing happened. Hysteria screamed nonsense in my skull until it was all I could hear.

The old hag took a frightened step back. Susie mouthed to someone, likely Deumos, on the restaurant roof:

"The mutt is going crazy! Can I get a bit of help down here?!"

The demon on the roof was casting a spell in a bright, blue light. She yelled back:

"I'm kinda busy here! I have to keep this up, or we'll never win this fight! Unless you want to die, kill her already!"

A smile spread across my face. They think they can kill me? They must be delusional. I guess I'll play along. I took a small bow in front of Susie. A wicked smile spread across my face from ear to ear. I took a quick glance at Trance, who was helping himself to a cup of coffee.

"Come at me...if you dare."

The old hag took the bait and rushed forward. She came close enough for me to grab her arm and slam her body into the cement. A small dent was left where I introduced her to the earth. Susie coughed up blood. I stood over her trembling body, bent over, and rested my hands above my knees.

"You alright there?"

A maniacal laughter crawled out of my throat. The blood was enticing. Like aged wine saved for a rare celebration. I lifted her arm. It seemed to be that I paralyzed her from the impact. I bit into her forearm like a tender piece of beef jerky. Ripping the flesh off of her bones, I watched as she screamed in agony. I thoroughly chewed the meat before swallowing.

"I imagined that your blood would taste a lot better than it did just now. You've disappointed me greatly. Oh right! I've gotta find the mark before you die! It's the best way to get rid of you. Ready for some hide-and-go-seek?"

Her quivering silence followed.

I lifted her shirt and searched both sides of her body. Nothing. I guess I'll have to go there... I pulled down her skirt. Her legs were a saggy mess with no mark in sight. Nothing here...

"Hey, Trance! We'll get to see if she actually has a wrinkled ass! Ready!?"

Trance held a thumbs up as he sat comfortably, watching the show I put on for him. I exposed a fancy, blue mark on the ugly ass cheek.

"I found it! That was a fun game, but we need to wrap this up. Can't keep the audience waiting in anticipation for too long!"

I drove my nail into the mark. She slowly disintegrated into thin air. I looked to the roof, but Deumos was gone. Dead along with the other tainted souls.

Trance came out of the restaurant clapping his hands. He picked a flower from a pot next to the door and walked over to me. He placed it carefully in my hair and brought me to a hug. The sensation brought me back to reality. I was exhausted. Trance whispered into my ear.

"You did great. Three down, four more to go."