Chapter Seventeen

Trance snarled at the bat, causing it to snap its mouth shut. He snatched the bat from the faucet. Its wings flapped desperately as he held the bat's head in one hand. Then, a crisp crunching sound silenced the bat. Trance slowly turned around towards me as black ooze seeped from between his fingers. He opened his tight fist, letting the body drop onto the floor.

Trance closed his eyes and collapsed. I was partially recovered from the wailing attack and crawled over to Trance. He was unconscious as his body reverted back to normal. The only part that remained was his nails.

A drop a water splashed onto my neck. I jumped from the surprise.

I balanced myself on my feet and lifted Trance's shoulders off the ground. Dragging him was much harder than I thought it would be. I wanted to use my demon strength. At the same time, I didn't want to use too much of my energy. Healing already sapped most of it.

The hallway seemed to stretch

on

and 

on.

I'm exhausted.

Trance's body grew

heavier

and

heavier.

I set Trance down carefully and sat down. I needed a break. My eye lids closed. The labored breathing had me light headed.

Eventually, I opened my eyes to look around. I was on the bathroom floor next to Trance. The dead bat was still where Trance dropped it. I crawled over to the bat and picked it up with my nails. I examined it for myself and noticed the same green marking from the other place.

I turned to look at Trance. He was peacefully sleeping on the cold floor. I threw the bat across the bathroom.

"What the hell am I doing? I never asked why I was half  demon...just stupid. Why me?"

"You want answers?"

Trance was awake and rubbing his head.

"I haven't used that much energy for a long time now...and to answer a few of your questions. First, you're killing serial killers to get rid of me."

His heavy sigh rattled my heart. I forgot that the whole thing started with me trying to get rid of him. A demon can't be on the surface without a host either...

"Second, your birth father's side of the family was a little...unique. They were actually demon descendants that lost the ability to use their powers. In a way, that means you're the descendant of a demon yourself. However, you're different from them. You actually had demon abilities. At a young age, you already expressed such talents. Similar to how you are now. Glowing eyes. Long nails. But you had little control over your power."

Trance paused. I couldn't believe what I heard. But I needed to know more.

"Go on."

"Your mother feared your birth father. She couldn't take it anymore. The serial killer in her decided it was best to eliminate everything that bothered her. That meant you and your father. She killed your father first. You sensed what she did and called for reinforcements. Demons from far and wide started showing up at your house, believing it was the demon king that summoned them. And they weren't wrong. But they never expected it to be a baby girl. That being said-"

My jaw dropped.

"Y-y-you're saying...that I-I'm the demon k-king? Ha! You must be delusional! There's no way! ...right?"

He shook his head.

"You are the demon king.  The ruler of all demons...but I guess your title should be demon queen."

"No way. There's no way! Seriously!? I must've fallen asleep at the park. None of this could be real. It's all just a bad dream! I can't-"

Trance rested a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Can you let me finish before you decide to write everything off as a dream?"

I nodded my head.

"As I was saying...I was called forth along with the many demons that arrived. At the time, I  was one of the highest nobles. I quickly figured out what happened based on the scene before me. I was about to kill your mother, but she begged me on her hands and knees not to. I told her that if she were to step out of line that she would be murdered on the spot. I walked over to the crib you were sitting in. Such an innocent face contained the strength of a 'god'. I sent the other demons away so I could strike a deal with your mother. I would cover up the murder of your birth father in exchange for you. I was planning on raising you to be the fierce leader demon kind was waiting hundreds of years for. Your mother refused to let me take you. She said that I could watch over you, but you were going to stay with her. Reluctantly, I signed the contract under those conditions."

It was an information overload. My legs were aching from sitting on the tile floor.

"I watched over you for about six years. I served as your guard and father figure since your birth father was gone. It lasted until the day that Deumos' subordinate attempted to kill you. I realized that the demon world wasn't safe for a young child. I sealed away the inner demon deep inside your heart. It was the most complicated and energy consuming spell, but I succeeded. It took me ten years to recover. I came to visit you at the park before the seal broke, and I'm glad I did. It was on the verge of combustion...which would result in a shock wave large enough to break the planet to pieces. I used you as a host to control your powers until you got the hang of it. And yeah...that's about it."

My hands were trembling. I had enough power to destroy earth with one blow. I was scared. I'd rather be a half demon than the demon king...queen.