Chapter Five

Trance stood up and brushed the imaginary dust off of his black clothes. He held out a hand offering to help me up. I grabbed on, and we appeared in the middle of a plaza.

As we were walking around, it might've looked like I was alone and talking to myself in the normal perspective. Perverts were whistling at me in my tiny clothes. Trance tip toed up to the perverts and gave them a good kick to the balls. I couldn't help laughing as the idiots fell to the ground by an invisible boot. They freaked out and ran away calling me a "witch". I couldn't care less.

I noticed there were already missing posters with a picture of the old man I murdered. Little did these people know, he was a serial killer. They'd be better off without him. Trance shredded up every poster we came across and tossed the paper into the air like confetti.

"What are we even doing here?"

"We're looking for other demons and serial killers."

"So why're you-"

I bumped into someone because I wasn't paying attention. I fell to the ground and scraped my legs. The wounds healed quick enough to avoid suspicious eyes.

"Idiot. Watch where you're going. You're lucky you have my healing."

"That's not very nice. It's not all her fault."

My jaw dropped. The girl I bumped into was talking to Trance. Trance turned aggressive and was all up in her face.

"Who're you?"

"You can call me 'Lilith'."

Trance looked like he might kill her with the face he had on.

"So Lilith...do you know him?"

"Oh, no I don't. Let's go to WcDonald's and talk there. People might get weirded out."

The three of us walked leisurely over to the restaurant. Trance kept a watchful eye on Lilith all the way there.

We walked in through the door, and the little bell above jingled.

"Welcome to WcDonald's. How can I help you?"

Lilith ordered.

"Can we get three large sodas and six burgers?"

The cashier gave us a dubious look but continued on with her scripted conversation.

"Will that be all?"

"Yes."

"Your total is $20.63. Your number is 403."

We waited for our food to be finished. Trance strutted over to the back and grabbed a mountain of fries. When he came back, he was laughing. I couldn't help but quietly laugh with him. Lilith rolled her eyes at me.

Trance noticed and stopped laughing.

"What's your problem, bitch?"

"You're setting a bad influence for the poor girl."

He was about to throw the fries at her when someone called our number. She grabbed the tray from the counter and brought it to a small booth in the back. Trance set the fries on a couple napkins.

I sat down on the inside by the window and Trance sat next to me.

"Talk. How can you see me?"

"I can only tell that you're there. I can't actually see what you look like. There's a scarlet fog next to the girl."

Trance didn't seem to like that answer.

"How old are you?"

"My, my, my. Hasn't your mother taught you that it's rude to ask a lady's age."

"Answer."

The air around the table grew colder by the second. Even I started getting goosebumps. Lilith picked up on the intense pressure and caved in.

"Fine, I'm sixteen."

"What school do you go to?"

"I go to Greenville High School."

She went to a different school than me, and Trance seemed to have a slight feeling of relief.

"How do you know about demons?"

"My grandmother was associated with a demon a long time ago. It possessed her and it stuck around for a while. One day, it disappeared and left her in pieces. She died maybe forty years ago after suffering-"

"Shut up."

He realized it was a mistake to ask, but it was too late. I tried to stand up, but Trance pulled me back down by my shoulder. My hands were trembling.

"Will that happen to me?"

"You won't die...or suffer. The demon that possessed her grandma was probably careless and messed up somehow."

Lilith butt in.

"My grandmother gave birth to a half demon soon after it disappeared. That was my mother. So I'm a quarter demon. I believe that's why I can somewhat see you."

"SHUT UP!!!"

Trance slammed his fists on the table, making all the food jump. His voice rang in my ears while Lilith's kept repeating "my grandmother gave birth to a half demon".

I spiraled further into my own thoughts. My heart was beating hard against my ribs.

"Can I trust you, Trance?"

"What're you talking about?"

Sweat was beading up on my forhead.

"Can I trust that you won't kill me?"

"If I killed my host, I'd be dead too. So you have nothing to worry about."

I ate a cold french fry. Trance could've been lying, but I trusted him enough. He got me through everything so far in one piece. It would be foolish to doubt him at this point.

Suddenly, a demon appeared next to Trance. Trance's eyebrows rose as he processed who it was. He had black pants, muscle top, combat boots, and top hat. His eyes were a bright purple, and his skin was also a pasty white.

The new demon slapped Trance on the back.

"Wassup dude! I haven't seen ya in forever."

"I don't know...how're you?"

"I'm chillin. I heard you got yourself a host. I know you've always been into the pretty types, but I don't see any babes here."

Trance rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"She's sitting next to me you asshole."

"Oh! What's your name, girly?"

I looked at Trance to see if it was okay to answer. He gave me a slight nod.

"I'm Scarlet."

"Hmmm...your hair doesn't match. I'll give it a more appropriate color."

Before anyone could say anything, the demon slit his wrist and sprinked me with some of his blood. He said some sort of chant and poof. Trance pulled a strand of scarlet hair to his face for closer inspection.

"Thanks Shax. I was thinking about fixing that."