Chapter Thirteen

"That reminds me...why do you eat human food? Does it give you any so called 'nutrients'?"

Trance squinted his eyes. He tilted his head to look at the ceiling and scanned the light fixtures. His eyes shifted from one to another. Then, I saw the tiny light bulb flicker in his head. Trance held up one gross, long finger showing he came up with a smart answer.

"It tastes pretty good."

"That's it?"

"Yup."

Trance stood up abruptly and collected the dishes. He carefully set them down on the front counter and rang the bell three times. The metallic jingle violently bounced off the walls. Susie yelled from the back room with a delicate voice.

"Thank you! Have a nice day!"

Trance headed for the door without me.

I stood up and attempted to catch up, but my shoe lace had another idea in mind. The lace danced by my feet until I stepped on it. My body pressed forward, despite knowing something was awfully wrong. Gravity kindly forced an extra fuckin serving of dessert in my mouth, tile pie. Blood dripped onto the floor. I wasn't sure if it came from my mouth or nose, but Trance noticed. He snatched a few napkins from the dispenser sitting on a table nearby.

Out of nowhere, Susie appeared next to me. She couldn't see anything, yet she wore a worried face. My regeneration kicked in, and my wounds healed.

"Darling, are you okay?"

Trance handed me some of the napkins, and I wiped up my blood. I wasn't tempted to lick up my own blood from the floor. To me, my blood tasted like chalk. It's beyond disgusting.

"I'm fine. Thanks for the concern."

"You seem to be special like your friend. You appear human but deep down inside something darker lurks within you. How's your injury?"

Before I could say anything, Susie reached into my mouth to search for an open wound. Then, she moved on to my nose. I began to panic, but Trance desperately shook his head. Her hand was wrinkled and experienced. She could probably tell that I was scared. Susie removed her hand. She smeared my blood and saliva on her apron.

"Doesn't even look like you have a scratch on you. Be careful next time."

Susie gave me a chilling smile. Her sunglasses hid her eyes, and her hair covered her forehead. I couldn't tell if it was a genuine smile or one with other intentions in mind.

She waved her hand, motioning us to leave. I jumped to my feet. Trance grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the shop. I was trembling. Why did she have to go and grab my face like that?

"What did she mean when she said that I was like you?"

Trance kept pulling my arm. He didn't say anything.

"Are you listening to me?"

He continued to press forward. Trance was frantically looking around the street market. Hundreds of faces. Many different stores.

"Trance?"

I tugged on my arm a bit, but he yanked me forward. He tucked me under his arm while persistently holding my hand. I bubbled over with frustration.

"Will you just listen to me and answer my fuckin question already!?"

He planted his feet in the ground so suddenly that I would've fallen on the ground again if I wasn't stuck under his arm. Trance brought his head close to mine, enough for me to hear his quiet whisper.

"There's someone following us. I need you to shut up right now before you get us killed. I don't know how many there are, but it looks like they want something. If you understand, nod your head."

I violently nodded my head and clung to Trance's coat. Who is it? What do they want from us? My mind ran in circles until I was dizzy.

"Now, I want you to take my coat and run to that alley over there. Stay close to the street. The jacket will conceal you with the proper spell."

I nod my head again.

"On the count of three..."

I was scared. What will happen once I take his coat? Does he need it too?

"...one...two..."

I squeezed my eyes shut. Here we go!

"...three."

Trance wrapped the coat around me and touched my forehead with his long nail. It sent a ripple of energy through my body. Then, I felt light and bouncy. Like walking on clouds.

I ran towards the alley without turning back. If I hesitate, he might die! I leaned against the wall next to a trash can. His over-sized coat touched the ground. Trance's scent was-

What the hell am I thinking!?

I peeked around the corner. Trance's pale arms looked like they had never seen the sunlight. And his black T-shirt fit his slightly muscular body nicely. It's a shame that he keeps it hidden under his coat all the time.

I slapped myself in the face. Idiot! Snap out of it! How stupid can I get?

He held open his arms to the crowd and brought his hands together with enough force to cause everyone to freeze. Quite literally. All the people were frozen in time. I was still able to move.

"Come on out you fuckin asshole! I know you're hiding!"

I heard someone shuffling in the distance. Trance crossed his arms across his chest.

His body language frightened me. If I were that person, I'd run like hell.