Chapter Six

"...what do you mean by that?"

"I've wanted to change your hair color since the moment you told me your name. Brown just doesn't suit someone named 'Scarlet'."

The hair Trance held was my own. I turned to look at Lilith, and she just shrugged.

"I kinda have to agree with them this time."

I slid under the table and ran to the bathroom. I stopped in front of a mirror. The bright shade of scarlet would've been impossible with the hair dye of this world. It was the same color as my mark. I pulled on my hair to make sure it was real. The pain was real enough to convince me.

Trance appeared behind me with his arms crossed.

"What'd you think of your new hair?"

"Will it wash out?"

"No. Even when you grow old, your hair will stay this color forever."

I charged at Trance with a fist ready. But he caught it with one of his hands and yawned.

"Is that all you've got?"

I threw my other hand at him, and he grabbed it with incredible speed. Trance pushed me against a wall and pinned my hands above my head. He leaned in closer to my face. I shut my eyes and turned my face away from him. All I could hear his mocking laughter.

"I wasn't going to force myself on you. I wouldn't really want to anyways. Listen to me. I couldn't lift the curse even if I wanted to. Only the demon king and the demon who inflicted it on you could remove it. And the demon king rarely does favors for humans."

He let go, and I dropped my hands. A warm feeling filled my legs and they gave out. Trance caught me before I hit the ground. We appeared in my room.

"As a demon that possessed a human, it is my job to take care of you. Does a change of hair color hurt you so much? I can make Shax turn it back."

"I'll live."

I buried my face in my blankets. The fluffy softness. I was just about to fall asleep when I felt the presence of another demon. I sat up straight.

"What's wrong?"

"I feel another demon. It's in the house."

Trance's eyes lit up and so did my mark.

"Can I get some nails again?"

"Sure thing."

He slit his wrist again and painted on my forehead. Power was flooding my body. I was scared, but I was more worried about the demon that trespassed into my house.

My nails stretched, and a red filter covered my eyes. I got a whiff of the other demon. I sprinted to the door and threw it open. Down the hall. I was in front of my parents' room. Anger gave me even more energy. I kicked the door open to find my mother sitting on a chair by their bed in the dark.

The air was stiff and smelled of rot. My mother's long hair was covering her face. The light from the door frame allowed me to see another figure in there. His distinctive eyes lit his face.

"What the hell're you doing here?"

"I came to give your mom a visit. Do you gotta problem with that?"

A purple mark illuminated under left her sleeve.

"Trance...is my mom a serial killer?"

"I didn't want you to have to kill her so soon...but yes. She killed your father last night. I've been tracking her since before I met you. I didn't realize you two were related until I came to your house."

I could hear my heart crack. I jumped towards my mother, but she disappeared. A long nail went through my hand. It belonged to the one behind me. I kicked my mother, and her nail was yanked out of me. The blood on the chair was almost black. My blood.

"What the fuck mom!? Why'd you kill dad?"

She was swinging side to side with her nails grazing her legs as they passed by. Her hair let purple light flood through the chunks of her greasy hair.

"Oh, honey. You'd never understand. I chose to. The blood of a serial killer runs through my veins. It started with your great grandmother. Then, your grandma. To me. And now you. What are you going to do now?"

"I wasn't born a fuckin serial killer! I hate serial killers..."

Her maniacal laughs bounced off of the walls and rang in my ears.