Chapter One

At the house, my parents hovered over me constantly. They offered me snacks, drinks, pillows. It got to be too much sometimes. So I'd go over to my favorite park to be alone. I usually sat on one bench near the playground under a tree. The people tended to avoid it because it's been tagged up, but I couldn't care less. I even started designing it myself.

I went to my bench at the park to read. There were plenty of people there that day. Mothers, fathers, children, child molesters, teenagers, couples, and loners. Looking down at my book, I noticed someone in a black trench coat walking up to me. I shifted my eyes to get a better look. The person had black boots, black pants, a black shirt, and a black bowler hat. I couldn't see their face because the hat was pulled over completely and the trench coat had a high collar. The weirdo had my full attention by the time they sat on the seat across from me. 

"Hi there young lady. I was just wandering in the area, but it seems you're the first one to notice me. You don't know how happy that makes me."

The voice belonged to a man but sounded distorted. It gave me goosebumps. There was something wrong. Really wrong. Before I even realized it, the words came tumbling out of my mouth.

"Who are you?"

"I know you're trying to get some reading done. All I ask is for a bit of your time. First, what's your name?"

"Scarlet...why-"

The person lifted the hat. Pale skin. Red, burning eyes were exposed. It felt like he was burning holes in my face with his gaze.

"Nice to meet you Scarlet. I'm Trance. Who do you live with?"

"Who would tell you that? Look, I don't know if you know the word stranger, but people shouldn't tell strangers personal things. I don't even know you."

I looked down at my book and continued reading. He was gonna have to bother someone else if he wanted to talk. But Trance grabbed the top of my book and pushed it down on the table. Long, disgusting fingernails were attached to his grossly pale hands.

"I'm just trying to have a nice conversation. If you're that uncomfortable with my questions, then why don't you ask some? It's not that hard to answer is it?"

Trance didn't blink. His eyes were carefully watching my every move and lips were as thin as paper. He played with something in the pocket of his trench coat. The weirdo noticed I was paying more attention to his fiddling, so he stopped moving his hand.

"Fine. I live with my mom and dad."

"That's nice. I wish I had parents, but this isn't about me. Next question, how many friends do you have?"

"I prefer to keep to myself. I don't like people very much."

Trance raised his eyebrows and gave a slight smile.

"Very well. Moving on. I'm curious. Do you believe in ghosts? Angels? Demons?"

He put a special emphasis on the word "demons".

"I keep an open mind. If that's all then could you leave me alone."

The weirdo stood up and pulled out a custom hand gun. I swallowed a huge ball of panic. I almost choked. But no one noticed. Everyone was acting like there was nothing wrong.

"Alright, calm down. There's no need for violence. Do you want some cash? I have a twenty."

Trance shook his head.

"I'm not robbing you. I'm proving something. I have a gun pulled out and not one person is screaming. Watch this."

Trance walked towards the play structure with the gun out. He pointed it at one child's head. The kid didn't even care. He continued to play in the sand box. No one went to pick up a phone to call the police. No one even bothered to get up. The weirdo started laughing maniacally.

"Do you wanna know why they aren't panicking? I'll give you a hint: hell."

I put my hands over my mouth.

"No way. How come I'm the only one who can see you?"

"The answer's simple. It's what humans call 'destiny'. It was destiny for you to encounter a demon called 'Trance' and be his host."

"Host? What do -"

I was interrupted by a loud bang. Pain. Searing pain exploded in my chest. Warmth ran down my skin. I looked down. Blood.

"Thank you for being so cooperative. For a demon like me to live in a host, I need to know your circumstances...only for convenience. Well then, when you wake up you'll have a friend. One that'll stick by you no matter what."

Everything started fading to black. People were acting completely normal. The children playing on the swings. The parents watching and chatting with others. The weirdos with a peep hole in their news papers stalking people. The teenagers drinking beer they stole from their dad's fridge. Then, there was Trance. He sat on the other side of the bench patiently waiting. Waiting for something. For me to die?