Chapter Eight

The box was so close. I could just jump from the edge with enough distance to spare. But Trance had the experience of...I don't know how many years.

I slid back into the dirt hole and gave Trance a toothy smile.

"I accept your challenge."

"Good luck!"

With a snap of his fingers, a huge dust cloud engulfed Trance. I blocked the flying debris with my hands. The sharp twigs and rocks grazed my skin. Dirt stung as it settled inside my cuts.

A few seconds later, the dust disappeared along with the demon. His presence was gone too.

"What was in that box? I know Trance is a weirdo. But still..."

My thoughts spiralled around my parents and their deaths. I wanted to know everything. I also wanted to know why I had to be the one. My mother being a serial killer, and Trance meeting me couldn't be a coincidence.

"There has to be more to this fuckin story."

That's when it hit me. And quite literally too. Cold liquid poured on the top of my head. It gave me goosebumps as it ran down my shirt. I wiped some of it off of my eyes and looked. My hand was a dark red. I licked my hand. Blood.

A pulse of energy got my heart racing. I looked up to see who it was. It was Trance. He was standing at the edge. My scarlet filter came on, and my nails grew.

"Now it'll be a fair enough fight. I picked up some pig blood from a butcher shop. I didn't expect you'd have this strong of a reaction to it though."

I hopped out of the hole, landing next to Trance. Before he could react, I wrapped my hand around his arm and yanked him to the ground. I desperately reached for the box, but Trance stabbed my arm.

I pulled away and scampered back. The few feet we had between us was nothing. It was easy enough to jump out of a four-foot ditch. Suddenly, I had a hard time breathing. I never had asthma, but I imagined that was what an attack felt like. I licked the blood off of my arms, hoping to recover. Nothing changed.

My energy was draining and, everything blurred. I weakly scratched at my neck. Trance dropped the box and ran to catch me. I fell into his trench coat.

"Scarlet? What's the matter?"

I could feel him patting the side of my face. Stupid lungs were dry and stiff. I could only manage wheezing.

"Hey!"

I felt a warm drop hit my face. Then another. A few more came. Trance was trembling.

"BREATHE DAMN IT!"

He was chanting. A warm light heated my forehead.

"Fac ei daemonium partem. Diu clavis. Nunc auiditate caedis intemperantius. Eam habere in potestate."

Cool air filled my lungs. My throat loosened up. Something felt different. I opened my eyes. Trance's face looked down at me. Tears built up in his eyes and fell onto my cheeks.

Trance embraced me in his arms.

My jaw dropped from the shock of the whole situation. Not only did I almost die, but Trance was hugging me. The weirdo demon. Hugging me.

He pushed me away from him. Trance covered his face with his hands. I could hear him mumbling.

"What in the nine hells am I doin? What the fuck is wrong with me? Scarlet is human. Human."

"Are you okay?"

He stood up slowly and brushed the dirt off of his coat. Trance looked composed until he tried to walk away and stumbled on a rock. Usually, he would glide over them or walk around. I was surprised to see the know-it-all, flawless demon goof up.

"I need to get some more of that pig blood. We have to keep it on the down-low. Killing too many people in the same area'll get us unwanted attention. Do the Salem Witch Trials sound familiar?"

"Okay then. Don't trip on anymore rocks."

Trance disappeared without a word.

I went back inside the house and dragged my father to the hole. Rigor mortise made his body rigid. I wasn't tempted by his blood either. The smell of his rotting flesh made me gag.

I made it to the edge of the ditch, and I pushed him in. I expected him to brace for impact by holding out his arms or curling up, but my dad fell face first. His nose busted open, and the smell of his sour blood curled the hair in my nose. I ran back inside to put on a face mask to block the stench.

I picked up a shovel and started throwing in the dirt. Scoop by scoop it covered his body. He didn't move and it creeped me out.

A shinning light caught my attention. The box was still sitting on the floor where Trance dropped it. I picked it up and held it in my hands. My nails were still long from the transformation.

I opened the lid.