25 | how to be shattered

Start from the beginning

He helped her eyes from falling off the ground by dragging her outta her reverie of bulged eyes.

"Surprise much? You shouldn't be. Doctors are good with knives and literally everything."

She wanted to roll her eyes at that or maybe she did, then she gently smiled. She moved to collect the carrots he chopped down and continued her cooking when he said "No, just order me around and will finish up the work."

That was how they finished the breakfast. He puts all the pancakes on a plate. She smiled a bit before saying "Hopefully you'll finish them up."

He eyed her and squeezed his brows before saying "hopefully not."

"Okay why are we putting them in a plate already? The rest of the household ain't awake. So warmers gonna be the best option."

"Ohh..." He scraped his nape embarrassingly before saying "actually this is my first time cooking."

Her mouth widened a bit. "Well must say you looked a bit professional doing that. No one will say it's your first time."

What Islam didn't know was in the process of binge watching all of her youtube videos he watched her cooking tutorial literally every single day.

"If you want to learn I'm always free to help. Come every morning through out our stay here. And you'll be certified as chef." Islam announced.

***
You think your dad is innocent too? Cut me some slack soak lol! Hahaha!

Islam just got on Instagram and about to post a picture when she saw that creepy stranger's message again!

At this point she was so scared, more than ever! She had no idea what this person wanted from her.

Once the person saw she had read his message, he quickly sent in another one!

What if I tell you he did the mafia on her and sacrificed her?

Islam's head began getting heavy. Her breath began chocking her off, she couldn't think of anything straight, the world around her was rotating before her eyes. She quickly got off the app and with much force got to the toilet. She looked at herself in the mirror for long, before she completely broke down.

This couldn't be real! This couldn't be true! And she can't tell anyone of this mysterious guy with messages, because Nora trusted her. She asked her to hide away her secret for her. And if she was to tell anyone of this, then surely Nora will feel betrayed.

Islam cried hard in the loo, her eyes turned so red, she finally splashed water on her face before sauntering out of the loo. She hated how the messages started making sense to her. What if.....? No! Can't be true! She refuse to think that way!

She picked up her phone and read the message again, she knew it was wrong to keep on reading the message, the right thing to do was to even block the person but she couldn't do that. She felt like there must be an element of truth in whatever the person was saying. Maybe she needed to meet the person! Or maybe she needed to talk up her dad about it. If this was true, she was sure she could never forgive her father!

But how could she start confronting her dad about this? When she hates mentioning about her mom in front of him? When it's such a hard topic for him - for both of them! But could this has anything to why her father detests hearing about her mom so much? What if this is the truth? Ya Allah! She felt as more tears gushed down her face. She wiped them away before picking the phone and hitting the call button, trying to face time her father! She needed to get this done, once and for all!

Suddenly another message came in;

The Menk Deen you so much admire is Mafia King! You might be his next sacrifice! After wife comes daughter!

At this point Islam got so scared, that means all these messages weren't aimed at a wrong number but her, all the creepy messages were for her. What does that mean? Why would her father be part of Mafia? Wait, is mafia even real? Is it even a thing? Isn't that a huge rumor made up by some jobless people? What? No! Can't be! Her dad would never do that to her mom! If he does she's gonna make life miserable for him and avenge her mom! She is definitely taking the matter to court! She will have to stand up for her mom on this. Is the stranger trying to help her or he is plain enemy? She just can't understand. Everything isn't making sense! Is her life a total joke? Just when she's figuring out life, living the dream and earning all the happiness in the world things are about to shatter completely!

"Ya Allah I need your help." Islam whispered to herself crying.

After minutes of calling and redialing and what not, he finally picked up.

"What made mom die?" That was the first question she found herself asking. She was looking at everywhere but him.

"Well, you knew!" Her father said.

"I was young," she said looking at his eyes, she quickly felt something formed in her throat, and she forced it down. She walked over to the vanity and dropped her phone there, as she eased herself on the vanity stool.

"Did you cry?" Came her dad's voice, observing her face.

"Some one mentioned mafia!" She blurted out, her dad quickly locked eyes with her, he looked hurt, he quickly looked away.

"Please tell me it's not!"

He didn't say a word, "is that all about the riches? What group was it?"

"Islam!" He sternly called out, "I didn't come this far, just to be interrogated this way by my own daughter! Watch your mouth!"

"Really what group was it? You sacrificed her for a worldly possession? Am I next?" She ignored his warnings and called out, tears began welling up, at this point she wasn't afraid of anything. The only thing she was afraid of apart from her Lord was Husna coming in to this room or someone eavesdropping. She prays no one is eavesdropping on their convo.

"I've trusted you so bad!" She whispered out with so much difficulty. She waited for him to say something, but he didn't talk, she looked from her fiddling fingers to the phone on the vanity that had her dad's face showing up, "she was so kind! And innocent! Why did you do it?" She wailed.

The moment she voiced that out, she broke down completely, she cried so hard as her body keeps shaking from all the cries, she wished she never got to know of that, she wished she had never found this out, where could she start from now? What sort of life is this that you will have to be in the middle of avenging your own mom against your own dad? Why life has to be so harsh? Why is the world so difficult? Why are there many obstacles in life?

Those were the only thoughts that kept erupting out of her mind as her heart twist with the pain her dad caused her and her eyes cried out of the pain in hope of giving her relief, just that there wasn't any relief!

"I'm sorry!" Her dad finally called out.

"If i refuse to avenge her it wouldn't be fair," Islam whispered out to him while still crying.

"Me against you in court dad! You will have to tell everyone why you did what you did to my mother!"

In April 2020, Kano people died at an alarming rate. This chappie is for all the kano people that are no longer with us.