Extended Family Part 2

Alia POV

We walk in and there are lots of couples dancing already. I felt out of place. Everyone was looking at us. I guess Benicio could see I was uneasy, so he placed his hand around my waist again and mouthed the words "relax". I mouthed back "I'm trying"

"Benicio!" An old man says.

"Hey Benicio!" Another young man says.

"Benicio is here everyone! And with a garota!" A teenage girl shouts.

"..a garota!?" They all gasp in delight.

Everyone who works here starts waving at Ben and walks up to him to start a conversation. Looks like the family knew him. It was a family owned business after all.

All of the ladies come up to me, separating me from Benicio. They all are so nice.

"So, are you having my cousin's baby?!" The one lady squealed in an accent.

I gasp "No, I'm-"

"You're so pretty!" The little girl said. She looked about five.

"Thank y-"

"Are you gonna be my cousin?" The little girl asks.

"Uh, I-"

"Everyone let her breathe," a middle-aged woman shouts about the questions being asked. "What's your name, amor (sweetheart)" She said kindly.

This must have been some of his extended family that already immigrated here he told me about. I could tell by the Brazilian accents.

"My name is Alia." I smile "Hi everyone."

The little one comes up to me again. She reaches up. In baby that means "pick me up", so I do so.

"Hi" I say.

"My name is Arlete." She says.

"Nice to meet you, Arlete. That's a very pretty name."

I see a woman who looks to be her mom from her body language watch me as I play with Arlete.

"Is that your mommy?" I ask her.

"How did you know?"

"I just know." I giggle as I pass her off to her mother. The mom whispers "thank you". I smile back.

The woman who told everyone to "let her breathe" came back around and so did another girl who looked to be in her teens.

"Hello, Alia. How are you? Sorry for the bombardment. Brazlian families are crazy." She says politely.

"All families are crazy, but thank you. I'm doing alright. Nice to meet you." I reply kindly, trying not to draw too much attention to myself.

"So, I hear you are with Benicio? He talks about you all the time, darling." She says laughing with a grin.

"I didn't know he told anyone about me, especially his whole family. I thought he wanted to keep his relationship with me quiet."

"Amor! No!" She goes into a whisper voice. "You've got it all wrong. He wants to tell everyone about you." This made me feel a lot better. "It's just that he hasn't told his immediate family in Brazil. His mother and father are mad! And so is the oldest brother...and one of the sisters! So be careful." Her Brazilian accent came through very distinctly when she said to be careful.

"I will be sure of it!" I whisper, laughing again. "Thank you for explaining this all to me. I was starting to get worried, but to be honest, I still kind of am."

"Anything for you amor! Don't worry. If you are still worried, ask Benicio yourself. I'm sure he'd do whatever to make you happy!" She pats my hand reassuring me.

"We've only been dating for 7 months. I mean Benicio is great and I couldn't ask for anyone better, but I don't want to feel something if he's not feeling the same thing back." I explain. I didn't want her to think I didn't love him, but I'll admit, I think I might have been bitten by the love bug.

"Like I said befo-" Ben was walking over. "Trust me, Alia. You make his heart go boom" The woman giggled.

"Hello, Alia." He grabbed my hand and gently forced our hands to intertwine. "Hello, tia (aunt)." He kissed her on the cheek and hugged her. "Have you been enjoying the company of Alia?" He turns to me "Sorry I was away for so long."

"It's perfectly fine." I say. "I had good company."

The woman chimes in. "Alia is an angel. sem bagunça isso (don't mess this up)!" She says with a pointer finger to Ben's face, grinning angrily.

He laughs. "Don't worry! I won't!" Ben turns to me urgently. "We need to go! I forgot I have one more surprise!" He grabs my hand and leads me outside in a rush.

The little girl, Arlete was upset and didn't want me to leave. "Come back" she cried.

"I'm so sorry, honey. I have to go. I will see you next time." I apologize. All of the women came up to me, trying to get their last minute questions about our relationship.

Questions like "How long have you been dating my cousin??" And "are you sure you aren't pregnant?" And "when are you coming back" swarm in my brain. I couldn't answer them because Ben was so adamant about leaving so quickly!

"Bye, everyone! It was nice to meet you!" I say in a rush, leaving them unanswered.

I look back one last time to try and find the lady I was talking to. I spotted her and realize I didn't even get her name. I wave goodbye and mouthed "thank you".

We reach the car. "Ben, I didn't even get to say goodbye properly! What if they think I'm rude!?

"How can they think that!? They all love you!" He laughs as he opens the car door. "Just get in the car, Meu Amor."

"At least we didn't have to dance." I smile.

"Don't worry, we will next time. I promise" he devilishly grins.

"Can't wait." I say sarcastically with a smile.

————

Sorry I haven't updated in while. I'm trying to stay on top of it more. Also, Sorry it's a short chapter, but the next one is longer. I hope you guys are staying safe! Don't forget to vote and share. Comment too! I'm here for ya'll if you need to talk. Peace out

, Laur