Chapter Nineteen - New Beginnings

Ail's POV

I wake up and roll out of bed. I hardly slept last night, so I stayed up and watched movies and scrolled through my phone. The whole night Apache was singing out in his stall, there is no way I'm putting him out in a pasture at night. Knowing him, he'll jump the fence and I won't see him again. That's the last thing I need. I make my way to the kitchen and pour myself a cup of coffee and sit in the sunroom that overlooks the front yearling pasture. In Collinsville, we don't get much snow and the lakes and dams don't freeze over. So obviously there are a bunch of stupid yearlings trying to swim in the cold dam water in the middle of the pasture. The whole house is shut because it is so cold outside. I ordered a few rugs for the yearling, and I'll have to get all fifteen of them up to rug. 

I open the stable doors and there is a warmth inside the stables that makes me feel like curling up in a blanket. Bird sticks her head over the stall and a few of the other mares look over to see. I take Bird out of her stall and adjust her aqua and leopard print winter rug before I let her out into the day pasture with a few of the other mares. 

Once they're out in the paddock I muck out all the indoor stalls in the main stable and fill up the hay nets. Token and Apache are nuzzling each other over the stall rails in the outside stables. I muck their stalls out while there in there and fill up their hay nets. There are six outside stalls and there are only five horses out here. I take the three geldings that are in the other stalls out to the pasture for their daily grazing. At the end of the year, I'm hopefully going to be selling the three geldings and a few yearlings. It will be nice to have spare stalls in the stables and free up the pastures a bit. 

I take Token out into the main stables and tie her to a hitching rail outside the tack room. I brush her red coat over and clean the dirt from her. I take my black saddle pad and place it on her back and slide my Brazilian barrel saddle into place and do the cinch up. I grab the white nylon bridle that Kym gave me and slide it onto Token's face. I lead her out to the outdoor arena and climb into the saddle. 

We trot around the arena and lope around in a figure of eight before I lope Token through the barrel pattern. This horse takes everything in her stride. I can't wait to see how she goes on the pattern flat out.

Once the horses have been exercised, rugged and put in day pastures I go inside the house to my office. I sit down at my computer and look at the stallion list; trying to find a stallion for a quality mare is really hard. Especially because I'm picky. I want something a little cowy and not tall. Little rocket horses are the best kind when it comes to barrels. As well as getting Bird in foal there is another mare on the property that I want in foal. I ran her a few years ago as a four-year-old. The little mare named Smoken' Gun, shes a bay with a back white sock. Gun is half cousins to Bird and has bloodlines of Dash To Fame and Slick by Design. 

Then I find two stallions that I absolutely love. 

Filthy Fast 'N' French to go over Bird, he is an amazing barrel horse with a lot of heart and good bloodlines

Filthy Fast 'N' French to go over Bird, he is an amazing barrel horse with a lot of heart and good bloodlines. And for Gun, Bet Hessa Cat, the cutting horse.

This is exciting that two of my mares are going to have foals on the ground this time next year