dropkick of truth

Start from the beginning

Shinsuke returned from the staff room, not surprised to see the disheveled appearance of the three of them. Their antics were always worse whenever he had to step away from practice.

Only this wasn't a usual staff meeting about the club.

It was about their manager.

-------------

Suna gave her a pointed look as the team took down the equipment for the day, saying either-you-tell-or-I-do through his stare.

Mayumi sighed at the realization, her time to talk to them about the girls had come sooner than she expected, and she didn't know how to start that conversation.

'Hey guys, what kind of ice cream should I get from the convenience store? Also I was bullied this week but everything is fine now!'

Yeah, as if that would go over well.

It was daunting, she never tells them what's going on outside of what they already know. Hell, half of the team is unaware that she lives with just her grandmother, her parents are off doing whatever for their careers.

It seemed better that way, the less she lets others in - the less chance that they'll hurt her.

She's already been hurt before, so who is to say it won't happen again.

But they were different.

She has grown in her abilities as a manager, so maybe it's time to grow and be more of a friend to her teammates - trust them like they trust her already.

Now or never.

"Everyone, before you leave - I have something to say."

-------------

Everyone wasn't too shocked over their manager getting harassed by other female students - they were more surprised it has not occurred sooner. The twins' popularity drew in a lot of fan-girls, and it was only a matter of time.

They made it to the convenience store, Mayumi had asked her ice cream question but she didn't take their suggestions whatsoever - it was chocolate or nothing. The weather was cooling down - before they know it, it'll be time for the holidays and winter break.

Shinsuke, for once in his life, didn't want to be alone on the remainder of the walk home with Mayumi. The store is typically the split-up point for all of the volleyball players, so Mayumi and him were always together going home unless the twins dragged her away.

She seemed to notice his hesitation in leaving the store, but did not want to pressure him as they slowly made their way to their houses. Apparently she failed to notice that Shinsuke stopped walking, until he softly stopped her by grabbing the back of her hooded jacket.

"Mayumi," It was better to hear from him, rather than someone else, he decided.

"You're falling behind in Japanese Literature again. Your homeroom teacher talked to me about it."

Oh.

At least she was doing well in math. 

-------------

Her homeroom teacher was the previous homeroom teacher for Shinsuke during his second-year, hence why he sought out the captain of the team. It was half to find a suitable tutor for Mayumi, and also for someone else to tell her that she needs to get her act together - or else her rank would continue to fall in the subject. 

The first tutor the homeroom teacher suggested was actually Osamu, who excelled in their current unit that they were studying.

That was shut down from the captain immediately.

Shinsuke was the next clear choice - he understood all the material that Mayumi would face now and for the rest of the school year, if needed. He has always maintained his his marks in all his classes, it wouldn't be much for him to help out their manager. They are around each other for than enough - additionally for training and matches that would be held outside of school hours they could study then too. Plus they lived right next door to each other, it was a perfect solution - once he was able to convince her teacher of it.

Only thing that he didn't account for was the twins wanting to study with them as well. 

The two sneaky devils. 

Truth is, the two of them would need more than a dropkick or a swift punch from Mayumi if they wanted to actually study with them. Shinsuke wasn't going to let them distract their manager over whatever antics they could come up with, Mayumi was going to learn properly - with or without the twins. 

Preferably without the twins, as far as Shinsuke was concerned.