Chapter 35- Laura's Pov

I don't really remember getting ready for school, or how I got here. I'm not even sure what I'm wearing right now...all I know is that behind these doors is my new school...and in my hand is Sam's letter...and that's really all that matters.

I had better go in...the steps and street in front are completely empty...the Canadian flag flaps loosely, jangling in the slight wind that sweeps across the fallen leaves in ripples and whirlwinds.

I'm scared...obviously...but perhaps not as much as I would be...because its inevitable I'm going to have no friends here. I don't want any...maybe I'm just bitter...I don't know...all I know is I'm not going to try.

I run the pad of my thumb across the soft paper square, clutch my suitcase in my other hand and pull myself together, walking up the steps and into the school.

The corridor echoes with the sound of my footsteps. I make my way up to the reception desk and manage to pull together a few words to explain myself to the receptionist. She takes a long time phoning people, and getting me to fill out forms, but eventually I'm escorted to another room with my senior teacher and dorm advisor...

I should explain. I'm boarding.

Yeah, my mum sprang it on me just this week...she sorted it all out beforehand and now, here I am, with just one suitcase with all my possessions in my hand, and a hole in my heart I don't think will ever be filled.

The teacher explains the school rules to me, gives me my dorm key, introduces me to the two students I'll be boarding with and gives me a lanyard and timetable, then she lets the students show me the room.

Madison seems to be the most talkative of the two, Abigail interjects comments whenever she can, but together they're undeniably loud compared to everyone I'm used to. I feel even more closed up.

The room is fairly modern, with one bunk bed and one single, a long desk under the window, three built in wardrobes, shelves, soft chairs and a beanbag on the floor, and an en-suite shared bathroom. The walls are pale blue and the carpet and curtains a darker shade, but the walls are almost completely covered with posters and paintings and little postcards, and the floor is littered with clothes which Abigail hastily shoves into a wardrobe. Although we all have the same bedding, blue again, they have filled their beds with cushions, quilts and the odd stuffed toy. I pull my bag up next to my bed-I get the bottom bunk.

"Soo, aren't you gonna unpack?" Maddy says, folding her arms and sitting on the end of her bed, the single one. I look down at my suitcase, the blank space that is my bed, my space of wall, my third of the otherwise cluttered desk. My head.

"Yeah...I guess"

"Well, we've got all day, but don't take too long I've got to give you a tour of the campus as well..." She smiles broadly, "anyway whilst you unpack why don't you tell us more about yourself..."

I kneel down and unzip my bag and start throwing my clothes onto my bed,

"Is that all you've got?" Abby says, raising an eyebrow quizzically.

"Huh...oh, yeah...I didn't bring much from England, I'm meant to be going shopping soon..." I say automatically, monotonously.

"Ohh...well do you know where you wanna go? Cause we could take you tomorrow?" Maddy offers.

I think for a second. It's better than going with my mother, I guess, and at least then I'll have help choosing clothes that will let me fit in here. "Alright"

"Cool, okay...well we'll take you to the mall tomorrow, Abby can drive us" she grins, swinging her legs enthusiastically, then she jumps up, "this is your wardrobe here, do you want me to help you out?" She says, pulling out a metal hanger and twisting it a little in her hand.