Chapter 30-sams pov

After school I meet up with Laura and we go to ms jones's office together. I knock on the door, and after a minute, Miss opens it. I catch a glimpse of Laura's parents sitting stiffly on the uncomfortable plastic school chairs before it shuts again with miss on our side.

"Sam, can I just talk to Laura for a moment. I've spoken to your parents and got their consent for Laura to stay al long as she wants, but ... Well... I just need to talk to Laura. There are some things that need sorting out."

I nod slowly, "I can't even...just sit in there with her..?"

"I'm afraid not, sorry. You're welcome to take a seat here but it might take us a while.."

I bite my lip and look at Laura. She squeezes my hand, "I'll be fine...you can go home" she whispers. I want to argue, but I hear something in her voice that sways me,

"Um...ok...I'll wait for you at home okay..."

She nods and kisses my cheek. Her hand releases mine and she disappears into the room. Ms Jones tilts her head towards me in a strange way and then she disappears too. For a while, I stand there just staring at the battered blue painted wood of the door, the black paper taped over the window...I listen to the muffled squeak of chairs, and then voices...

I realise I don't want to listen. If they're discussing something in there I'm not meant to hear, I shouldn't eavesdrop. Laura will tell me. Laura can tell me her version. I shouldn't be here, listening to this.

I turn around. Somehow my legs manage to carry me the familiar route home.

***

Its lashing down with rain outside; thick, heavy rain, not the usual misty drizzle. I get home by 4, but its gloomy inside the house because of the thick clouds outside. Laura has only stayed one night, yet somehow...the house feels empty already.

Wandering around the empty house...listening to the clock ticking. I feel like I'm in the eye of the storm...all around me the earth is being torn to pieces. I'm trapped inside here...all I can do is wait.

5:00. Still no sign of Laura. I wander round the cold kitchen snacking on biscuits and breakfast cereal. I've not bothered to take off my shoes, and the wet soles click and squelch on the tiles. I look down at the muddy prints on the floor. I should clean them up before my mum gets back.

6:00. She should be back by now...I check my phone again. Nothing. Should I send a text? I don't want to disturb her...

6:30...my mum is back, cooking the dinner. I go up to my room and lie across the two beds. The sounds of cooking echo through the house.

I pick at the holes in my quilt. Laura...where are you?

7:00...I'm still lying here...it's gone dark outside. The orange glow of the streetlight filters thought the blind. Ive forgotten to turn on the light. i cant be bothered to get up.

A police siren wails, my ears prick, but it passes.

The light of my phone blinds me momentarily. Still nothing.

7:30-my mum calls me to dinner. I don't respond.

Laura...what's happening that's made you have to stay so late?

I stare at her number on the screen of my phone. I know each digit by heart...

I twitch to press the call button, and raise the phone to my ear.

My heart is thrumming in my chest...

Every possibility that has gone through my head in the past four hours streams back,