Chapter Seventy-Two

Start from the beginning

He catches the eyes of Edward, "...But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the children clings to your newborn mate and dear sweet Emily....I assume you are involved."

I throw Edward a look as if to say 'Don't go'. Instead of holding his ground he offers a look of reassurance, kissing Bella's cheek before walking across the snowy field to Aro.

I frown when I notice Bella try and use her shield, it failing to reach her husband.

"He'll be fine," I whisper to Bella squeezing her hand.

Edward reaches Aro looking down at Aro's eagerly waiting hand. Exhaling sharply he hesitantly places it into Aro's.

Aro's tense expression turns to a strange contour of confusion and intrigue.

His eyes locking with mine, flickering to Matthew and Renesmee.

"I'd like to meet them," he murmurs to Edward.

Edward cranes his neck around, his eyes showing fear as he beckons Bella and I to join.

I bend down and pick Matthew up in my arms, placing him closely against my chest. Slowly I step forward, Bella by my side as we approach the Volturi King.

I come to a halt, still keeping Matthew in my arms Aro's eyes consistently trained on me intently analysing me.

Aro then looks at Bella, "Ah. Young Bella. Immortality becomes you."

Bella glares strongly at him.

Smiling satisfactorily he averts his gaze to me, "And the infamous Emily Swan."

"Hale," I correct, "It's Emily Hale."

He grins, "Of course. Jasper's Soulmate."

He leans forward, taunting me, "Tell me where is you lover exactly? Surely he'd be here with you after everything you've been through."

I clench my jaw, about to respond when a small voice beats me to it.

"My father is looking for a way to prove to you I'm not an abomination."

Aro looks at Matthew a weird look of pride in his eyes, "What a courageous father you have..."

"Mathew, Matthew Hale."

Aro pulls back standing up straight, a calculated look on his face. Followed by a shriek of lunatic laughter.

"I hear their strange hearts!" He exclaims, pointing at their chests.

Aro then holds his hand out to the young Renesmee, who acknowledges him by placing her hand gently on his cheek, revealing all of her memories of this world.

"Magnifico!"

He steps back a look of pure happiness in his eyes. Glancing down at Matthew he holds his hand out to him, "May I?"

I place Matthew onto the floor encouraging him to step forward. He places his hand cautiously into Aro's while also staring into the crimson eyes.