Chapter Thirty-Nine

Emily's PoV

Emily's PoV

Seattle is in a state of terror. Police are baffled by the escalating murders and disappearances. Theories range from a vicious new gang to a wildly active serial killer. Reporting live... ..

"It's getting worse," Carlisle sighs turning the TV off, "We're going to have to do something."

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting," Jasper speaks up, glancing at me worried, "Quite a few more. And they're undisciplined, conspicuous."

"It's newborns," Edward realises his eyes widening in surprise.

"What, like new vampires?" Bella asks.

I roll my eyes at her, muttering, "Clearly," under my breath.

Edward turns to Bella, "The first few months after the change..."

Caleb nods, "That's when we're at our most uncontrollable. Vicious. Insane with thirst."

"Something to look forward to," Emmett chips in, smiling like a maniac.

I glare at him, taking a swift seat next to him, causally reading a book before slamming it shut and walking him over the head with it.

"Ahhh," Emmett complains, "What was that for?"

I shrug, "Nothing," innocently burying my head into Jasper's chest.

"No one's trained these newborns, but this isn't random," Jasper explains, concern evident in his voice.

Carlisle sits up straight as the realisation dawn's on him, "Someone's creating an army."

Emmett stands up highly determined, "Now we're definitely going to Seattle."

I shake my head, "Emmett will you sit back down. And for once try not to run head on into danger."

"An army of vampires," Bella grumbles looking extremely uncomfortable.

I sigh, placing my hand on hers, squeezing it gently. She offers a small smile looking over to Jasper.

Jasper nods at Bella, "And they've been created to fight someone."

Edward furrows his eyebrows, "Were the only clan even close to Seattle."

"Regardless of why they were made, if we don't put a stop to them the volturi will," Carlisle reassures, "I'm surprised they've let it go on this long," he gazes over at his worried wife.