Chapter 1

Hey guys,

Just like to begin by saying I don't own any of AMC's The Walking Dead's characters or plot line but I do own my own characters and plot line, which will be integrated within the story.

I hope you enjoy

Marie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gemma's P.O.V
I look down at the piece of fruit in my hand and imagine it to be an arm or a leg, trying to keep my skills in tact. I pick up the needle and thread and begin to create flawless stitches into the orange's skin, sealing up the gash in the fruit. I tie the thread together and cut the excess off, throwing it away. I place the needle down and examine my work, looking for any flaw.

"You've still got it."

I glance up at the tall, blonde, bulky man that is my father. There are dark circles under his eyes and his shoulders hang defeated. He had been working none stop these past two months and was becoming frustrated at his lack of progress.

"I have to keep practicing, you'll never know when I might need it." I say, placing the orange down.

He nods and walks behind the counter of the cafe and begins to make himself a coffee. His movements are mechanical and stiff, his face in concentration.

"Dad, why don't you get some sleep?" I say, walking towards him.

He stops his movements and looks at me, "You know I can't." He says before continuing making the beverage.

"You haven't slept properly since this whole thing started, you need to rest if you're going to save the world." I say, stopping his hands from moving.

"Gemma-" He begins.

"Bed, now! Doctor's orders." I command.

He sighs and shakes his head, chuckling slightly, "Yes, Doc."

He walks away towards the rooms where we stay underground. I finish making the coffee for myself and head into the main work room.

"Vi, main lights." I say.

The lights turn on over head and illuminate the work room. In front of me as I walk down the ramp are rows of workstations, with computers waiting to be used. I remember the days when there were people who would slave away trying to find ways to cure the diseases of the world. Now it's nothing but a reminder of everything we've lost, what could have been. I walk towards the front row of desks and sit down on a chair, facing the large screen above.

"Vi, power up the main screen." I say, taking a gulp from my drink.

The main screen slowly flickers to life, the blue light casting shadows over the computers. I stare at the screen for a moment, thinking about what it would be like to not have power. I snap out of my thoughts and turn to the screen.

"Vi, show me her."

The screen processes for a moment and then there she is. It's a family photo, from when I graduated from Medical school. I'm in the middle, with my blue cap and gown with a big smile on my face. My dad is to my right, dressed in his best suit with his large arms around our shoulders. And she stands to the side, with her favourite summer dress. Her dark brown hair flowing down her shoulder, her brown eyes lit up with excitement.

A pain shoots through my chest as I stare at the photo and the tears begin to slowly trickle down my face. I grip the coffee cup tight in hand as I approach the screen, even though there is a barrier between us.