library buddy *:・゚✧ ben

song - six different ways by the cure | put on repeat

i rode my bike to the library by myself. i've found myself enjoying the company of books, so i end up at the library most of the time. plus, i didn't have that many friends, if none at all.

 my mom and i moved to derry about a month and a half ago, and i've kept to myself since.

i parked my bike on the outside rack and opened the door, a gust of cold air slightly blowing in my face due to how cold the librarian, miss tina, kept the place.

"welcome back, miss y/n." miss tina spoke to me as i walked in, her desk right by the doorway. she flashed me a smile, and i grinned back. "hi, miss tina."

"the newest babysitter's club book arrived today. i thought you would like to be the first one to read it before anyone else." she grabbed the book from under her desk and handed it to me.

"thanks, miss tina."

i walked towards my usual spot, which was taken by a boy whom i've never seen before. not many people came to the library anyway, especially kids my age. he had his headset on, his walkman playing music that i could faintly hear.

"uh, hey." i spoke up, causing him to jump. he pulled his headset off his ears, still a bit startled.

"oh h-hi. is this your seat?" he asked. his cheeks were full and round, a nervous look still on his face.

"well, yes. but you can sit there, i don't mind."

"are you sure? i can move-"

"yeah, it's fine. i'm y/n, by the way. y/n  y/l/n." i introduced myself, a small smile tugged at my lips.

"i'm ben hanscom." 

i pulled the chair out next to him, sitting down and placing my book on the table.

"i don't think i've ever seen you around here before." i said.

"that's because i'm new. i moved to derry about a week ago."

i already felt a connection to him, pretty much because he was a new kid like me.

"i moved here almost two months ago. i don't have that many friends or anything like that, so i've been coming here." i explained.

"really? i wouldn't have guessed." ben shrugged.

"i don't really talk to anyone, but you're the first kid in this town that i've actually had a nice conversation with."

a smile crept onto his face.

"ditto." his eyes moved toward the book that miss tina lent me before anyone else.

"the babysitter's club? my younger cousin likes those books. i saw her reading them during christmas last year." ben said.

"oh, yeah. it's a great series. i like books where the characters are close to my age, and i feel like i can relate to them in a way."

"huh, i guess i've never really thought of it like that."

"the more you know." i replied.

"what kind of books do you like to read?"

"i like historical fiction. i'm a big fan of history and i really enjoy them."

"so i'm guessing you read number the stars?" i questioned, and his eyes immediately lit up.

"yes! that was such a great book. it's one of my favorites."

"shhh! whisper please." miss tina spoke up.

"sorry." we simultaneously said. the two of us giggled, continuing our conversation. i didn't realize how long we talked until the sky turned orange and it was almost sundown.

"see ya later, ben!" i said as i mounted my bike, my book in the basket by the handles.

"bye, y/n!" 

i pedaled away from the library, a sheepish grin forming on my face.

i think i'm really gonna like derry a lot more now.