Chapter 20

Ali's POV

"It's funny you think I know what you're talking about." Celia shoved her sister back even closer to the fire.

Ali, I'm fine. I promise. Don't trade yourself for me. Cathan's voice echoed in my head. If you cause a distraction I can get Eric out.

I tried not to grin too smugly. "Sure. You can have me."

The silence was deafening. Owen's grip on my arm tightened. I jerked my arm out of his grasp and strode toward Celia and Trixx. Before I could think about the consequences I reached between them and with both hands, pulled the amulet from around her neck, and the journal from her belt.

"How dare you!" She strode toward me, her hand at her throat.

Was it daylight? I felt the power of the sun, warm and soft against my skin. I stood my ground, ready for anything.

"She's glowing!" Someone from the stands shouted.

Sure enough, a bright lavender glow emanated from me. I wasn't healing anyone. How could I have this much power? I looked at the amulet clutched in my hand. Frozen in shock, I stared. Caliean Aliah Knight. My name stared back at me in my own flowy cursive handwriting.

"No. You can't actually be her." Trixx looked comically like a koi fish, mouth gaping.

"You didn't know? How is it that you knew almost everything but you didn't know who she was?" Celia asked incredulously.

"That is none of your business."

Ali, I've got Eric. We are headed toward the van. Meet us there. He's really bad. I need you. Cathan's voice rang in my head, stronger than ever.

Cathan, I think you can. Let me know when you get to the van.

No one noticed Cathan grabbing Eric. Grinning, I strode right up to Trixx. "What can you do now except let us go? You have no hold on us."

"That's what you think." She snapped her fingers. "I'll just kill the one I have."

"He's gone!" A girl with long blonde hair pointed to the pole where Eric was only five minutes ago.

"You have no leverage." Celia smirked. "Let us go."

Trixx snapped her fingers. I had severely underestimated how many people where here, and in an instant they surrounded us, separating us. I clutched that amulet as though it was my lifeline. The lavender light surrounding me acted as a shield, pushing everyone away.

"I believe I have leverage now." Trixx gloated.

The sight of Owen once again being held with a knife against his throat, and Celia knocked unconscious, made my hands shake and rage boil in the pit of my stomach. I reached for them both, grasping their hands, and surged every into them both.

Ali, what's going on? Please calm down. Eric's pale. He's losing too much blood. I can't heal him. A wave of desperation surfaced just under my own anger.

Put both hands on his chest, and blank your mind. Let our connection flow through you. I poured energy out through all three connections, and with my amulet, it was a floodgate. I could feel the pounding of our hearts, all beating as one.

Then it was all over, and the only sound was that of my own beating heart.

He's okay. Ali, he's healed. How? Cathan's voice, along with a mix of happiness, shock, and disbelief filtered through my mind.

"I suggest you walk away now." Trixx hovered on the edge of my force field. "Do it while you still can.

"Go." Zavian pleaded.

"Ali, run." Owen's face was so pale, but that determined set of his jaw. He meant it.

I ran through the crowd, tears streaming down my face. The sky was getting lighter, but my vision was blurry. My foot caught something and I fell, sprawled on the ground. Something in me broke. My chest constricted, and I let out a broken sob. The van had to be near, and I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. My whole world, for the second time in two days, was gone.

Someone's hand was on my back, and I jerked away.

"Ali, it's me." The hand was back, and this time, I could feel the emotions with it.

Arms encircled me and I fell into them, crying into Cathan's chest.

"Ali, it's okay." He rubbed my back. "I've got you."