Chapter 17

***Gideon up top

Cathan's POV

"Why leave?" Jess asked teasingly. "Eric was about to take his shirt off. I bet he's got abs."

"Shut it." I snarled through gritted teeth.

"You're so touchy. So I didn't get a chance to tell you but I told my parents that camp has been extended a week more."

The look of shock on my face was unmistakable. "Why would you do that for me?"

"I don't know. You're the one who wanted to keep doing this." Her dark hair, streaked with blue, blew in the wind. Jess was always my best friend, and no matter what happened, she stood by my side. "Just be thankful that my very strict Indian parents didn't try and call the camp to ask why it's been extended."

"Yeah. They wouldn't be very happy with either of us. They might think I've kidnapped you, or married you." I joked.

She ignored my attempt at humor. "At least your theory is right. She has some sort of power, the myths are true."

"Yeah, and it's the opposite of mine." I smoothed the gloves over my hands, making sure they were in place.

"You might learn how to control it. She could probably help you." Jess' hand on my shoulder squeezed.

My hands clenched the railing involuntarily. "There is no controlling this."

"There you two are." Ali's voice made me jump. "Sorry didn't mean to scare you."

"It's okay." I went back to staring at the shore. My sister...

"We have a teacher that's going to be meeting us when we get off the boat. He's going to help us out with some information about what happened at the funeral. I kind of call him Uncle so don't be surprised. He's my- I mean, our dad's best friend."

I nodded, not even looking at her. Just another important person in her life. Someone I don't know.

"You think I'm a freak now don't you?" Her voice seemed so small. "You don't want to be around me after that."

"No, Ali. What you just did was brilliant." I gripped the railings tighter, never more aware of my hands than right now. "I just..."

"We are almost there!" Celia, Eric and Owen climbed up to the deck, bags in their hands.

"Here." Owen handed us our bags and shuffled past us to the back of the boat.

"He didn't even look at me. Why didn't he look at me?" Ali practically whimpered.

"It's a lot to process, just give him time." Eric nudged her shoulder playfully.

Owen was seriously starting to piss me off. His feelings were painfully obvious and then he just brushes her off with no warning. Hell, I've done the same thing but not with someone as close as they were. I had my reasons for pushing people away. What was his?

Yesterday it was so busy. Today, the streets were empty. The only sign of life was a man, leaning against his very expensive car. With his blonde hair, leather jacket, and sunglasses, I swore the only thing he needed was a motorcycle.

"Uncle Gideon!" Ali rain straight toward him. He caught her with ease and held her, stroking her hair in a fatherly way.

They were all crowded around him shouting greetings and hugs. There was Jess and I, standing back looking completely out of place.

"Come over here." Ali waved to us, smiling brightly. "Stop being strangers."

"We are strangers." Jess mumbled.