Chapter 12

Ali's POV

"Ali wake up."

I shot off the ground into a sitting position, my knife drawn. Someone was gently prying it out of my hands.

"You're okay. It's just daylight. I didn't mean to startle you." Cathan came into my view and I relaxed.

"I'm okay." I said, breathing heavily. "Don't scare me like that."

"I'm sorry. Can I look at your arm?" He asked tentatively.

I rolled up my sleeve and we both stared as he unwrapped the gauze. The cut was gone. The only evidence of the injury was a thin scar running up her arm.

"How is this possible?" Cathan traced the line. "It's perfectly healed. This is a miracle. How can this be?"

"Because, she is my daughter." A woman's voice echoed. Eutriv's statue was no longer still. She was moving, and the lavender that streaked through her hair shone and rippled. She was even more beautiful than I ever imagined. She smiled. "I have granted her the gift of healing."

Then Cynthus started moving and one by one the statues came to life. The Gods were with us.

"Owen, my son." Kor said as Owen got down on one knee and bowed his head. I did the same, bowing to Eutriv.

Eric was shaking hands with Cason. Jess was staring open mouthed at Rogan, who leaned forward, and kissed her on her wrist, a gesture that meant a claiming.

"Cathan." Cynthus' voice boomed from the statue, making me turn around. "You are my son. You were born from my power, and so I claim you as my child." He reached forward and touched Cathan's wrist with his thumb, leaving his mark, a shield.

I stood there open mouthed at Cathan. No one had ever been personally chosen by any of their patrons. To top it all of, the children of Cynthus were rare. The last one was Gideon Wright, and before him, there hadn't been one in decades. They only appear as a pair. With a chosen one of Eutriv.

"Now that that's settled, we come to you for a specific reason. The world is in grave danger. The Inferno society has plans to uproot our entire existence. It has been centuries since my Companions have gathered. It is time to do so again. All of you children are only a few of my Companions, and you will meet more on your journey." Eutriv addressed them all.

"Some of them are good and true, others have conflicted hearts." Rogan placed his own hand over his heart, smiling warmly at Jess. "You will have to decide which ones they are."

"We know that. They killed my father." I said, almost choking on my words.

"Yes, my dear, and he wants us to tell you that he loves you both." Eutriv smiled sadly at both of us.

"What you don't know, is that they have already acquired five of the amulets." Cynthus declared. "We need you to find the other five."

"Companions? Like, the ones from the legend?" Eric asked, having only picked up one word out of the whole conversation.

"Yes so you had better not screw this up." Cason snapped.

"As your Companions, we shall do what is necessary." Celia said, her needles were at her side, glinting in the red light coming from Bris.

"Your sense of duty inspires me my child." Bris smiled.

"So... this is a quest?" Eric asked excitedly, looking around to Cason.

"You are such a nerd." Cason answered. "This has been a long time coming."

"Okay then we know what to do." I gazed up at Eutriv. "We will find these amulets, and we will keep your power safe."