Chapter 3

*** Up top is Raina***

Ali's POV

My hand went to my dagger again. This woman towered over me, her hip long blond hair swaying in the breeze. There was nothing real notable about her looks, other than the fact she wasn't wearing anything ceremonial, nothing Salvistic. This woman might have been a mom, with a grey pea coat, black leggings, and high heeled boots.

"I have my reasons." Cathan pushed Jess behind him. "Leave us alone."

"Who are you? What is your name?" I asked.

The woman cocked her head to the side like a curious dog. "My name? Of all the questions to ask me you must know my name. Curious. That is not the most important issue here. What is most important is that I get what I want And I want that amulet your family has, little Knight." She held out her hand expectantly.

"Uh, I don't understand. What? The amulets are just a myth. They don't really exist." I moved next to Cathan. "And I would appreciate it if you left right now. These are my family's burial grounds."

"These are Salvist burial grounds and I can roam where I please." A satisfied smirk graced the corners of her lips.

I was so engrossed by her visage that I didn't notice what was happening behind me until Jess screamed and Owen's hand was ripped from my arm.

More demons had appeared from behind the trees. Some were covered with blood, others were snarling in such a non human way I swore we were in a horror movie. Owen was now holding the arm of the demon who tried to take him behind his back. While Jess was being held by a girl with long, tattered hair.

"Who are these people?" Cathan asked almost breathlessly.

"Cathan, they are demons. That girl isn't human. Not anymore." I pulled Owen behind me. Do you know how ridiculous it looks to try and protect someone who is five inches taller than you? He just stubbornly planted himself in front of me. I made to move beside him but he only glared at me.

"You will see what happens when I don't get what I want. It's never a pretty sight. I did come a long way, and I would hate to leave her empty handed." She snapped her manicured fingers.

One of the demons jumped onto Owen's back. With a flash of silver and a yelp, she had a knife to his throat. He struggled and hissed in pain as the blade cut into his skin. Cathan was in the same position, on the other side of her, staring at Jess who was now a crumpled heap on the ground. Her black and blue hair splayed out on the grass like a curtain.

"It hurts ma'am." The boy whined, struggling to hold Cathan. The arm around his throat was smoking, as if burned.

"Then let him go." She smiled wickedly.

Cathan took a deep breath and slipped his glove off only to reach up and cover his assailant's face with his hand. Howling in agony, the boy let him go, running off. Cathan quickly put the glove back on and ran to Jess.

"Useless." The woman spat.

I couldn't think straight. Not long enough to form a plan. A girl, her dirty hair falling into her face had turned to me from Owen's back. Her eyes were the trademark demon eyes. They looked like they were filled with blood. Those bastards were always trouble.

"Why are you doing this?" All I wanted to do at this very moment was pull the goddess forsaken bleach bottle blonde hair off that evil bitch's scalp.

"Just following instructions." The demon answered, her breath ghosting over his neck. "He smells good."

I cringed. The knife was drawing droplets of blood onto his throat. I watched as they ran down his neck and into the collar of his shirt. Owen's face contorted in pain. The only sound was that of my heart, beating twice as fast inside my chest. I kept still, preparing for anything that could happen. Cathan was unharmed, Jess was okay. Right now, Owen is my main concern. Any more pressure and that demon could slit his throat. I terrified me down to my very soul. All that training, hard work and dedication, and I was one move away from losing one of my best friends. I had never felt so helpless in my life.